Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 8 Apr 2007 23:33:57 -0500
From:         Matt Roberds <mattroberds@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Sources for plastic valves?
Comments: cc: Michael Elliott <camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM>

> From: Michael Elliott <camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM> > Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2007 13:26:59 -0700 > > In one position, the hot water comes out the shower head, in the other > position, it goes back into the reservoir.

I suspect you might have more luck using a plain tee and two regular shut-off valves. You have to remember to operate both valves in the right order, but these parts are easier to find. You could even use one of those things that lets you put two garden hoses on one faucet and has built-in valves, but you'd need adapters to go from the garden hose threads to barbed fittings. This should all be off-the-shelf at your local hardware store.

> Heck, I suppose I could just put a tee in the line and use bulldog clips > to alternately open and close the recycle or the shower head line.

You can get "tubing clamps" that are made for this. They work like either a safety pin or a pair of locking pliers, except the bits that clamp down on the hose are well-rounded so as not to bite into the hose. Sometimes car parts stores have them for pinching off fuel or vacuum lines; you can also find them in chemistry classrooms and the teacher can probably tell you where to buy them.

I don't know if it's easy to get a valve like this, but: get a pressure relief valve that opens at some low pressure. Install it in the line to the shower head, but down low - close to the reservoir and heater assembly. Figure out a way to run a hose from the "overflow" output of the relief valve back into the reservoir. Also, install a simple shutoff valve right at the shower head. To shower, hang up the head and get wet as normal. Then close the valve at the shower head. The increased pressure will crack the relief valve and divert water back to the reservoir. (Have to be careful that it doesn't "hunt" or oscillate - relief valve opens, pressure drops, relief valve closes, pressure goes up, relief valve opens, etc.)

How about this: get something like a 2-liter soda bottle and cut off the top to make a funnel. Attach a new piece of tubing about four or five feet (about 1.5 m) long to the neck of the funnel, and fangle a hook onto the outside of the funnel. To shower, hang up the shower head and funnel right next to each other. Run the tube from the funnel back into the existing reservoir. Get wet as normal, then grab the funnel and hang it under the shower head. This will let the water return and recirculate without having to take the shower head down from the high spot.

Matt Roberds