Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 9 Apr 2007 12:20:48 -0400
From:         Jason Willenbrock <pooncerelli@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Debate on Repainting
Comments: To: jack007@COMCAST.NET

go with what color makes you happy, not to the next potential buyer, unless you choose a silly color scheme that nobody else will like. just try to keep stock colors for best resale potential. epoxy primer is used as an under coat to seal bare metal and is always a good idea for durability and sealing purposes, plus it makes a great surface for good primer adhesion if shot within the allowed window, usually 48 hours. if your paint is not badly deteriated, going to bare metal may not be necessary. sometimes going to bare metal can speed up the inevitable rust process. if paint is in decent shape, meaning not flaking or cracking or crazing, then the painter will only have to scuff and primer seal then top coat, except for areas of repair that will require more attention. but for the rest of the body it could be straight forward, assuming you have a good base to start with, remember KISS (keep it simple stupid!). go with a middle of the the road acrylic ureathane, like Nason. usually costs about $100 a gallon, plus reducer and hardener. make sure they do base coat clear coat, not single stage. any rust in the seams? if so this would be a good time to get in there with some por-15 to help keep it at bay. it will come back, but por15 will keep it from coming back too soon. removing glass is a great idea when doing a complete respray. you may find some rust you did not know was there and then can deal with it directly. also a good opportunity to install all new rubber. good luck jason 87 syncro westy so many roads to ease my soul...

_________________________________________________________________ Interest Rates Fall Again! $430,000 Mortgage for $1,399/mo - Calculate new payment http://www.lowermybills.com/lre/index.jsp?sourceid=lmb-9632-18679&moid=7581