Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 10 Apr 2007 10:42:51 -0700
From:         chris <vanagon@FRONTLEFTSPEAKERPOSSE.COM>
Subject:      tools needed to: (?) fix the rust, or find a new body?
Comments: cc: BJ Feddish <bfeddish@NETREACH.NET>

ok, I think I feel a lot better about trying to tackle this job in part myself and in part via some professionals. I got a quote last night for fixing these windows, at between $300-$400 each, at least for the really bad one and the windshield. Less for the others, but still going to cost a heck of a lot.

What would be on my tool list to try and tackle some of this stuff myself?

I don't care much about how smooth it looks, I just want to stop the rust so I can keep the thing going for some time to come. Beauty is NOT a concern, only stopping the rust so it doesnt come back. (or doesn't come back realistically within the next 10 years or so.)

I realize the seam rust will always come back, and ill happily keep that at bay once I realize how to do so.

so, whats on my required tool list?

If it's going to cost me $800 just to do 2 windows, I may as well start investing in some of the tools to do the job myself.

Thanks for any suggestions, tips or tomfoolery.

Cheers, Chris

BJ Feddish wrote: > Now, logically speaking, you have now removed the van from the location that > was causing the rust. That's a big step so I would think that fixing what > rust you have is going to be easier than converting a Vanagon into a Westy. > (unless you were to start with a Westy donor). It looks like you need to > pop out all your windows, fix the rust then put them back in. It would be a > good time for some new rubber too. > > Bryan

http://imagehost.vendio.com/preview/ch/christophercs/RUST5.JPG

http://imagehost.vendio.com/preview/ch/christophercs/RUST7.JPG

http://imagehost.vendio.com/preview/ch/christophercs/RUST8.JPG

http://imagehost.vendio.com/preview/ch/christophercs/RUST10.JPG