Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 10 Apr 2007 22:38:22 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Decoupler
Comments: To: mwmiller@CWNET.COM

If I was going to buy wheels, I would go for 16's. 215/65-16 (27") will work with stock gearing and brakes and with some effort and deflation, still fit in the spare tire carrier. The standard tire in this size is a load index 98. There are also many high load tires available if you want to go that route. If you want really great handling, 225/60-16 will make it steer like it is on rails. 225/55-16 is almost stock diameter but you will need XL tires to get an adequate load rating.

It sucks to have a new tire fail quickly. Have it examined to see if the failure was defect related. Not to promote brands, but Goodyear has been outstanding in warranty replacement of bad tires. As I approach 50K on my set of Wrangler HP's two have been replaced since last December for tread irregularities. One was a large bubble in the tread and the other got the "Waves". They gave me credit based on tread wear even at that high mileage. So being s Syncro, the new tires are mounted front/rear opposite corners to even out the axle rotations.

Dennis