Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 11 Apr 2007 01:25:57 -0400
From:         Jeffrey Lubin <visionwizard@VERIZON.NET>
Subject:      Re: extra seats in a full camper,
              or stick with a weekender? - self-inflicted thread hijack about
              pop-top
Comments: To: John Bange <jbange@GMAIL.COM>

Was the base model a pop-top? My kids (and I, I admit) would like the pop-top, but I'm starting to think that it's not worth the problems and expense, especially since I'm expecting that most of the "camping" they'll do will be while we're driving. Anyone have thoughts/comments about how great it is to have a pop-top, and how you couldn't imagine life without one?

John Bange wrote: >> If you have the cash and want something a little different, there were a >> limited number of Multivans imported in the late 80s which had a read >> bench >> seat and two removable jump seats which faced backwards. Always my >> dream, >> but still $$$. > > > Also, if you can find one, you can sometimes get a good deal on a 90 > or 91 > "base model": a no-frills Vanagon with metal bumpers and no cup > holders or > pop up table in the back, but with the same rear facing seats and > fold-out > bed rear bench. From what I've seen, though, they're rarer than > Multivans. > In the 2-3 years I've been watching, I've only ever seen two for sale, > one > of which I bought. I suspect they were originally built as a low-price > "bait" Vanagon, so the salesmen could upsell folks to a GL when they > showed > up at the dealership and saw the rubber floor mats and gray tweed > upholstery. Strangely, those rubber floor mats seem to be now worth their > weight in gold. Not so much the gray tweed. > > -- > John Bange > '90 Vanagon - "Geldsauger" > >