Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 11 Apr 2007 10:24:53 -0700
From:         neil <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Elec. Questions/Auxiliary Battery/
Comments: To: Bill Glenn <idahobill@gmail.com>

Thanks.

I think I get the idea. One would run 12V "back" to an exsisting circuit instead of creating a new branch of circuits from pos. of aux batt.

I *may* still create new circuit for an *extra* DC outlet (cig type or ?) but your plan will run less wires, be less work all round and would suit my needs.

Neil.

On 4/11/07, Bill Glenn <idahobill@gmail.com> wrote: > On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 20:26:58 -0700, neil <musomuso@GMAIL.COM> wrote: > > >Hi all. > ...(message edited for brevity) > > >For now, my plan is to wire refer, stock house light and an added > >connector (cig. jack?) for DC accessories, directly to aux batt... > > Neil, > > I recently conducted a search of the archives with an eye toward writing > myself a how-to for moving the dome light, map light,mirror light,radio, > and the cigarette lighter off the main battery and onto the auxiliary > battery. Numerous posts were distilled into the following, which I have > saved in my Vanagon files:(for a 1990, yours may be different) > > > Moving the Dome Light, Map Light, Mirror Light, Radio, Clock, and Cigarette > Lighter to the Auxiliary Battery > > All of the above are powered by circuit #3 in the fuse panel. To remove > this circuit from the primary battery and connect it to the auxiliary > battery, do the following: > > 1. Remove the fuse from circuit #3. It will not be replaced. To avoid > confusion in the future, you may wish to insert a dummy fuse (say a non- > working blown fuse) with a tag attached which references a note (perhaps a > copy of these instructions) placed in the owner's manual or elsewhere, > which describes this change. > > 2. Find the 2.5mm red wire leaving the back of the fuse panel that > connects with terminal 87 of the fridge relay under the driver's seat. > Disconnect this wire at the fuse panel, install an in-line 15 amp fuse on > its end, then insert the other end of the fuse holder into the output side > (bottom) of circuit #3. (this wire will now carry current from the > auxiliary battery under the driver's seat, by way of terminal 87 on the > fridge relay, to circuit #3, whereas before this wire carried current from > the fuse panel to terminal 87 on the fridge relay) > Note: some may want the fuse close to the auxiliary battery, but my > preference is to have it more accessible just behind the main fuse panel, > rather than hard-to-get-to under the driver's seat. > > 3. Connect a new 2.5mm red wire to the positive terminal of the auxiliary > battery, then connect the other end of this red wire to terminal 87 on the > fridge relay. These devices are now being supplied with current from the > auxiliary battery. > > Note: 2.5mm wire = #10 awg >

-- Neil Nicholson. 1981 Air Cooled Westfalia.

http://web.mac.com/tubaneil