Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 13 Apr 2007 15:06:12 -0400
From:         BJ Feddish <bfeddish@NETREACH.NET>
Subject:      Misc Friday Ramblings, probably long, possibly pointless....

Before I embarked on the rust repair for my van I was talking to Chris how I needed to fix it since I may sell it and if I do keep it I want all the rust gone anyway. He mentioned that if I did want to sell it that the rust needed to be fixed since "nobody buys these things as a daily driver anymore." That really got me thinking. That probably is the case these days. When I bought my current van 10 years ago I paid $4500 for it with a fresh coat of paint and a rebuilt engine. I drove it as a daily driver for 5 years but needed something with more pickup when I started working at a particular client so I bought a Subaru Legacy (now replaced with a Honda Element). I kept the van and use it for camping and about 50% of my driving, especially trips to Home Depot, hauling musical gear, etc. I still use it quite often. In the spring I'll put a tarp inside and go fill it with dirt for my yard. I have scratches on the dash from hauling 12' lumber. During the summer it hauls a 12ft inflatable w/ 15HP outboard. I've only put 80K on the van since I bought it but surprisingly enough dollar per mile it has been one of the least expensive vehicles I've owned. Scary thought. My wife's Audi A4 keeps the mechanic much more happy than my van does.

One thing I've really noticed lately is I seem to be the only VW bus on the road these days. I have not passed a VW camper since the Buses By the Depot last fall. Really. I have seen 1 parked Vanagon in that time. Gone are the discussions from this list like "Hey, why don't the loaf drivers wave at us Vanagon owners?". There doesn't seem to be anybody to wave at. Yeah, I'm getting a little melancholy.

So the question is, does anybody still drive a Vanagon (or loaf) as a daily driver out there? What are you doing with those vans? Are there people here that (gulp) just use the van for camping? I could never understand that one. Are there places besides CA where there are some VW vans left or are most parts of the country as vanless as SE PA?

On a slightly different topic. There was talk here about modifying vehicles and lessening their value in the future. Hhhhmmmm. My vans will always be partial daily drivers or I won't own them anymore. I love VW vans but first and foremost it's a vehicle for driving as far as I'm concerned. If throw a Subie or VTec engine in there some day to keep it running I don't care if I've lowered the value for a collector. That goes for any other mod I make. It's my vehicle and as far as I'm concerned I've gotten my moneys worth out of it. If for some reason some excited restorer, about to embark on the restoration of an '83 turd brown Westy, opens the engine lid to find Chevy Chevette motor in there than that's their problem. <anti-flame> People who restore old vehicles to stare at in their garage have too much time and money as far as I'm concerned. </anti-flame>. ;)

Bryan