Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 14 Apr 2007 10:48:52 -0700
From:         Philip Zimmerman <philzimm1@OBERON.ARK.COM>
Subject:      Healthiest way to lead an UnHealthy Vanagon lifestyle? (a long
              attempt at Phrydey humour)

Healthiest way to lead an UnHealthy Vanagon lifestyle? (a long attempt at Phrydey humour) Date: Fri 13 Apr 2007 08:56:23 -0700 Reply-To: neil <musomuso@GMAIL.COM> Neil began and titled this thread:

From: John Bange <jbange@GMAIL.COM> John expanded: > Tasted every fluid on board, sometimes intentionally (to ID a puddle),

From: Robert Fisher <refisher@MCHSI.COM> Robert posed a couple of great fryedazed questions:

1. So one has to wonder if your habit of tasting untastable stuff has something to do with your 'ruined sense of smell'...? 2. Can I say 'tits' on here? 3. I mean an intantaneous and violent reaction... 4. Makes you wonder how many other people that's happened too... (the oil, not the booze). 5. Maybe we should start a club? 6. p.s.: I wonder if there's a word for that smell/retch response- it's common enough I think; my wife can't stand the smell of tequila. If there isn't there at least ought to be a sniglet for it?

From: neil <musomuso@GMAIL.COM> Dr Nick postulated:

As for the response, although I'm no expert ("Hi Dr. Nick!!") isn't it part of the "flight fight, f**k" stuff?

You know; the smell of the T-rex that wiped out your tribe? (never mind that you were all drinking Southern Comfort). You'll never forget the smell of that T-rex!

As for a term how about "Auto Revolt"? ---------------------------------------------------- Hi guys and gals,

Dr Fill gotta chime-in here on this thread.

The pseudo Dr Nick came-up pretty close with a name for this related Vanagon-Syndrome (RVC)

Google found Dr Tony's blog on "Auto Revolt" but seems more bent on the Loaf and Splitty crowds than us Vanagon geeks. See: Dr. Phat Tony's: July 2006 Hippie tree huggers everywhere have welcomed this *auto revolt* and heralded it as a coming of a new age. Hippie leader Monday Flower-Petal Smith said, ......

The Bentley-like bible of Swami's, Shrinks, Psychiatry, Psychology et al have their jewel: "name that pathology" in the DSMV-R, Diagnostic Statistical Manual (Revised). I long ago rejected using the DSM on real live humans beings. Similar to using the Bentley as a how-too book for the neophyte Vanagon owner. The book is a great resource but without significant training and experience your Vanagon will hate you for using it on it and will probably run worse than when you started. YMMV

Never-the-less, the DSM does offer the following (less than exhaustive) list of possible names for this "tasting of various Vanagon fluids", vomit-response.

295.90 Schizophrenia, Undifferentiated Type Psychotic Disorders 307.51 Bulimia Nervosa, Eating Disorders 309.81 Posttraumatic Stress Disorder, Anxiety Disorders 312.34 Intermittent Explosive Disorder, Impulse-Control Disorders

I vote for either 307.51 or perhaps 312.34, fits the experience of tasting an unknown fluid and responding with an instantaneous projectile vomit response. Kinda similar to sampling some of my cooking while camping in my Vanagon. (RVC)

Happy Friday somewhere.......

Phil Z. Campbell River, BC ----------------------