Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 14 Apr 2007 17:28:56 -0700
From:         Old Volks Home <oldvolkshome@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: h4 headlights
Comments: To: Matt Roberds <mattroberds@cox.net>

Unfortunately, the plastic nuts for the Vanagon adjustment screws are Vanagon specific and not interchangeable with the standard 7" Headlight Adjusters commonly found on earlier VWs. In addition, Raymond did not indicate the year he owns, which would go along way to properly answering his question. On the 86-91 model the plastic piece is ONLY sold with the screw. If Raymond owns an 86-91 model, here is an excerpt of a post I made to the Vanagon List January 31st of this year: *** Recently I purchased them from the Dealer to do a friend's 87, both sides (fits 86-91).

Here are the current prices at the Dealer (Bus Depot, Vanagain or GoWesty may have them cheaper, but since the Ventura, CA Dealer is two blocks away, I went there for the convenience):

255 941 133 A Adjustment Pc, Hi Beam Bottom $7.28, 1 per beam 255 941 141 B Adjustment Screw, Hi Beam Top $3.98, 2 per beam 255 941 133 Adjustment Pc, Lo Beam Top Inner $7.28, 1 per beam 255 941 141 C Adjustment Screw, Lo Beam Top Outer $4.57, 1 per beam 191 941 297 Adjustment Screw, Lo Beam Bottom Inner $8.52, 1 per beam

To do one side at their (retail) price: $35.61 + tax

With the shop discount, I paid $28.49 per side + tax.

I do wish the mounts were better plastic (or even metal for that matter).

Now somebody write this down so that they don't have to check the slow archives. *** Additional: 80-85 Vanagon adjusting screws are available from the dealer (or Bus Depot, etc.,) (251 941 141), but they don't show the nut they screw into as a replacement by itself, which leads me believe they're only available when the complete retainer assembly is purchased. I have several of these units stashed away and after looking at them awhile ago, these nuts are nothing like I've ever seen on other VWs or most other makes in general.

Note: VOA usually does their annual price updates in February, so the prices mentioned above may be inaccurate. It's best to call to find out the latest pricing. -- Jim Thompson 84 GL 1.9 "Gloria" 84 Westfalia 2.1 "Ole Putt" 73 K Ghia Coupe "Denise" 72 411 Station Wagon "Pug" oldvolkshome@gmail.com http://www.oldvolkshome.com *********************************** On 4/14/07, Matt Roberds <mattroberds@cox.net> wrote: > > > From: Raymond Paquette <raymondpaquette@GMAIL.COM> > > Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2007 07:55:54 -0700 > > > > Speaking of adjusting the headlights, does anybody know where I can > > get replacement plastic gizmos that the adjuster screws go into? > > Try your local auto parts store that carries the "Help!" line of parts. > These are usually packaged in blister packs with a red card. I know > I've bought aimer-screw bits of that brand for other cars. > > If you go to https://www.dormanproducts.com and go to "Part Category > Search -> Headlamp -> Headlamp Adjusting Screws", you can see some of > what they have. I don't see anything specifically marked as for VW. > A lot of their applications are American cars which are probably inch > fasteners; they do show a few for Japanese applications which are > probably metric and closer to what you want. > > At some stores all the Help! stuff they have is out on the shelf but at > others some of it's in the back - if you can't find it on the shelf and > it doesn't come up in the computer, they have a paper catalog with > pictures and applications and might be able to fix you up. > > Matt Roberds