Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 14 Apr 2007 20:04:38 -0500
From:         joel walker <jwalker17@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: daily driver = RUST

> kinda hard to wash your car when the temp is below freezing.. > which is the > case in most northeast states the majority of the winter. > you car gets covered with salt in october, and stays that way till > april.

no kidding!!! and there's another problem ... if you take your car to those drive-through car wash thingies, lots of them are required to RECYCLE their water ... which means you're getting salty water all over the top and sides and wherever on your car from the last smuck that drove through, and all the others since the last time they changed the water, if ever. :(

and there's another problem ... if you do happen to drive through one of those car washes on a cold day after getting slush sprayed all over the sides of your bus, DO NOT GET OUT of the bus to wipe water off the windows. or if you must, leave the door(s) open!! from personal experience, i can tell you that the water runoff can freeze and the door will not open. so there you are, jacket-less, outside the bus, with its engine merrily puffing along, sneering at your stupidity, and it's getting colder by the minute. if the rear hatch hadn't been less frozen, don't know what i would have done. :(

so rust in the northern tier of states and wherever they use salt on the roads is just a fact of life. any brand new car will have rust appear after about two and a half to three years. unless you take extreme measures to prevent it ... like washing UNDERNEATH the bus after every time you drive it, even after the snow as melted (have to wait til after the spring rains come and wash the dried salt off the roads).

all of which is another reason i moved south. i can deal with tornados and kudzu (have to cut it back every day or it'll cover your bus/house/yard) and fire ants, and yes, even the summer heat. but cold AND rust, well, it just got to be too much. my daily driver was a 1970 beetle, and one day i kicked at the big ice blob that was hanging off the bottom rear of my front fender ... and about a foot of my fender came off with the ice. it was that rusted underneath. had to replace the gas tank in 20 degree weather (it was a warm spell) one day, cause i lost ten gallons of gas in about four miles of steady driving (barely made it back to the parking lot) cause the rust on the bottom of the gas tank finally give way.

so basically, you pays your money, and you picks your poison. unca joel