Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 15 Apr 2007 08:21:11 -0400
From:         Mike <mbucchino@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: Lower bleeder screw question (searched archives)
Comments: To: neil <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>

Neil,

The lower screw should be bled also, to rid the internals of contaminants; water and dirt like to lay down there. Obviously, air will rise, but be sure and bleed from both. Pumping the pedal quickly, will cause turbulance and force more air bubbles to come out from thier little hiding places than slow pumping. Also, holding the last push down hard while someone opens the bleed screw, makes a difference, too. A pressure bleeder is great, and way better than a vaccum bleeder, if you can't enlist some help. A vacuum bleeder sucks air in from the bleed screw threads, requiring heavy grease applied to seal the threads while they're open. It also can and does suck dirt in past the wheel cylinder cup seal lip. It's beveled one way to seal pressure from the inside; the bevelled cup will collapse due to strong suction inside, bringing in contaminants that are laying just outside the seals. A pressure bleeder is the best way, because it most closely simulates the actual designed use of the system. I bit the bullet and bought a Motive unit for european cars, and I was so impressed, that I'll never bleed the pump way again! Superior, fast and a good, solid pedal the first time. And no need to enlist help, grease bleed screws, or go round and round and round, trying to get a better pedal. Invest in one, if you plan to do all the work on all your cars, like I do. They're not very expensive, and you can avoid taking the car to a shop and paying them to use thier pressure bleeder on your car. It'll pay for itself on the first use.

HTH,

Mike B. ----- Original Message ----- From: "neil" <musomuso@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Sunday, April 15, 2007 2:17 AM Subject: Lower bleeder screw question (searched archives)