Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 16 Apr 2007 19:43:10 -0700
From:         neil <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: THANKS - Report (brakes)
Comments: To: Mark Drillock <mdrillock@cox.net>

Hi Mark.

Re: rear brakes. I replaced all but the backing plate and flex hoses late last summer. Flex lines looked ok at the time.

I took it in for power bleed and rear shoe adj.

Drives, er stops much better now!

Got my fridge "warming" up and hope to hit the road tomorrow AM!

Thanks for the help and educational pointers on brakes.

I am now MUCH more aware of some of the details I should look for and keep an eye on.

Cheers,

Neil.

On 4/16/07, Mark Drillock <mdrillock@cox.net> wrote: > Don't overlook the 2 small rubber hoses for the rear brakes. These can > develop a bubble in their walls and this prevents much fluid pressure > from reaching the rear wheel cylinders. Look closely at the rear > trailing arm pivot areas and check out these hoses. > > Also, what did you see when you had the rear drums off? Any sign of > leaking at either wheel cylinder means you should replace them both. > Even just a dark area around one of the 4 rubber boots means a leak. > Lift the edge of any suspect boot and if any fluid is visible it is bad. > > Finally, if there is any wear lip on the edge of the drum braking > surface get the drums turned and install new shoes. > > Mark > > neil wrote: > > > Hi all. > > > > First off thanks for help on brakes (bleeding) > > > > FWIW, I used the gravity method to bleed brakes. (no time to get parts > > together to build power bleeder) Did one wheel at a time. Went around > > twice. First time some bubbles came out the fronts, second time > > nothing but fluid. A few tiny bubbles came out drain bleeder on Pside. > > Regardless, getting them out really helped things. Much improved > > though pedal will still bottom out to metal if pressed hard. > > > > I hammered on the brakes (it's raining, so better for testing me > > thinks) and Dside ass end came around. Not totally, but enough to make > > me think rears are out of adj. Fronts have even wear and pads/rotors > > hardly worn at all. I'm taking it in to have a power bleed done and > > rear shoe adj. done as well. > > > > Anyways... > > > > Things are on track and if this work at "Beetle Spa" doesn't help, > > then I dunno what I'll do. Maybe a caliper/rotor upgrade?? > > > > ;^) > > > > > > Thanks! > > > > > > -- > > Neil Nicholson. 1981 Air Cooled Westfalia. > > > > http://web.mac.com/tubaneil > > >