Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 17 Apr 2007 18:56:46 -0400
From:         Jim Akiba <syncrolist@BOSTIG.COM>
Subject:      Re: slurs and engines
Comments: To: Benny boy <huotb@VIDEOTRON.CA>

I wasn't offended for one. But I also know you didn't mean it like that even if it's written that way.

But I DO have issue with one thing.

I don't think anything should EVER be judged simply on the basis of it's attribution to a particular group that has no concrete effect on it in a way by which it should actually be judged.

An engine should never be judged by who makes it, not the company, not the geographic location, and definitely not the country of the company's origin. This used to work, a long long time ago when the brands that people believe to still mean something actually did. If you start to look past the branding, and get to the real heart of it, that's where it ends up mattering. So while Ben, you might feel that you've seen more niceties and attention to design/manufacture on Japanese engines, it is still true that those things are NOT attributes of them being Japanese. The fact that the engineers were likely Japanese and have a tendency to do something makes it more likely you end up right, but there will be plenty of examples where it won't hold up. It would be comforting to think that you could be loyal to a brand or geographic region and expect the same levels of quality, or attention to specific areas and have that be maintained, but that is asking too much. OEMs are struggling so badly and competition is so fierce, that like a school of fish, they are all swimming together to try and stay alive. The differentiators are falling away rapidly. As modular design along with hardware and software reuse continues to explode as a answer to ballooning R&D costs even more of the differentiators will evaporate. Currently there is little point in maintaining loyalty to one OEM vs another since they all have hits and misses. The key is to pinpoint your needs, and find the best suited answer from what exists based solely on how it will satisfy those needs, your end goals. Unless one of your end goals is to have a certain brand engine(which many people hold for some reason) then you are doing yourself a huge disservice by not actually looking at what you should be. Then again, most people don't have the time or expertise or desire to do this, and will trust others to do it for them, then wade through the higher level mumbo jumbo for an answer they like.

European, Japanese, American, Italian, GM, Ford, VW, Toyota, Subaru, pick whichever you want, the majority of what most people think about any one will be an illusion, and most of that was architected by somebody else to make more money. Afterall.. the commercials will never say "Feel the freedom, except stay away from the 97-99 DOHC ej25"

I'll go head to head with you benny on technical points with the zetec and another engine.. but you'll have to tell me what country the zetec is from first. It was made in Europe, partly designed by Europeans, partly designed by Japanese, and partly designed by Americans, but for an American company. Which is it? I don't really care, as long as it's done well, nobody else should either. But they do... *sigh* perhaps it's my own perspective since I was made from Japanese and German parts but built up mostly in America... it definitely explains my obsession with things automotive.

A big knowingly presented middle finger to the branding and rebranding of everything. I used to think Radio Shack(Realistic) was a kick, and kind of lame, but then I grew up a little and realized that everything else is just as lame... but sometimes... it isn't. And in tiny pockets here and there, some little brands still do mean something. Like in this little world of the vanagon aftermarket that we know and love so much.

Jim

________________________________________ Bostig Engineering <--- Brand Engine Systems Voodoo http://www.bostig.com/ 617.272.3800

-----Original Message----- From: Benny boy [mailto:huotb@VIDEOTRON.CA] Sent: Tuesday, April 17, 2007 2:04 PM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: EB2007 Vanaru Test Drive

"""Japs 4cyl engine are of a better design"""

I was nicely told by some list member that the use of the "Japs" word was not appropiate, by all mean, i didn't meant to! i'm NO racist by any means!!! far from that. i didn't realised!

This was only a quick and a very bad translation from my part, from a stupid "mechanic slang/French therm" to a "poor and worse" English (in my case), so i'm very sorry if i offended any!

We just call Japenese engines this way in French.

Again, so sorry. I'm working hard on my English, not so easy sometime.

Ben