Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 18 Apr 2007 20:38:57 -0700
From:         Robert Keezer <warmerwagen@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: In praise of VW inline fours

> > You point out that the ABA has longer rods > which minimize vibration. > This> > > is > a good observation, the rod ratio of the ABA is around 1.7, vs. for > example the zetec which is 1.58. The ABA is >theoretically less prone to > vibration, >but because it isn't balanced as precisely, >it >isn't.

I can balance a stack of 12 full wine glasses on the hood..

No I can't! I forgot , ther isn't a hood!

Mine defies the statistics- there is no vibration that is noticeable.

The Diesel engine mounts were designed for vibration, and harmonic crank pulley also helps lessen vibration.

But I have nothing to complain about as far as vibration goes.

Torque? Not a problem either. I've towed Vanagons thousands of miles. That is, with a towbar attached to the front of a Vanagon, I have towed it cross -state with my ABA powered Wesfalia. Not at all like towing with a V-6 or 8, but do-able . Havcing the five-speed trans helps.

I did'nt have the Zetec or Subaru choice or wasn't aware of it in 1995, but would'nt have done it either as mine was VW Diesel originally.

Zetec and Subie does make sense, mostly for practical reasons: The Diesel components are much less common.

So I think they are great choices in some ways.

I don't believe it's a matter of numbers.

If I had been presented with more choices in 1995 besides VW inline fours, I would have chose the Rabbit engine anyway.

I bought my Vanagon Diesel at a junkyard (Bry's)and they had boxes full of inline fours for 400.00 each.

For those with WBX or air-cooled, the Zetec and the Subie offer more convenience due to availabily.

The inline may have gotten a bad rap from the Tiico which featured many inferior components.

They have upggraded the hardware, I do not know as of lately if the other known problems have been solved.

It's natural to think of using an engine made by the original vehicle manufacturer.

We have changed the stats anyway by placing these engines in a Vanagon.

Robert

1982 Westfalia