Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 19 Apr 2007 09:25:27 -0700
From:         Mark Drillock <mdrillock@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Ideas for lifting water into the Westy water tank?
Comments: To: Michael Elliott <camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM>

So this is a theoretical exercise for you. You don't actually have a proven need for the extra complexity you plan to build. That fits right into the nutz category in my mind. There are certainly nice places to stay for extended periods where clean tap water is not available. My primary objection to your contraption efforts is that it assumes vehicular access to a point close enough to a body of water for your hose to reach. Since this can clearly not be taken for granted you also need a more basic backup method. Even when vehicular access is possible, prudence may dictate a more distant pickup point from the water source rather than from a point near the highest level of human interaction with the water. And since the contrived circumstance of the need for the contraption may not ever occur, the more basic backup plan alone would suffice IMO. Or with the contraption you could just travel around always low on water smug with the knowledge that your technology can overcome this unforeseen obstacle to continued camping bliss. Except that for people who aren't nutz the obstacle is clearly foreseeable, largely avoidable, and easily dealt with with a prudent reserve policy along with simple reduction in use when you decide you may stay longer.

For a beautiful camping spot on the East side of the Sierra just north of Lee Vining try Lundy Canyon. Bring water as the camp supply can be spotty when creek flows are low. Spotty means the camp tap still works but may be posted as undrinkable.

Mark Vanagon nutty as they come, just check the driveway

Michael Elliott wrote: > We're obviously going to have to duke this one out. .......... > But this summer I'm planning a trip up 395 along the east side of the > Sierra Nevada mountains. That's desert country because the Sierra scrape > water out of the air as it passes over them. Profile between here and > there is pretty bumpy, climbing over the infamous Cajon Pass, then > pretty much uphill through hot desert all the way to Lee Vining. This > drive has ruptured many a fine automobile. There are towns along the way > and I expect I will have no trouble finding city water should I need it. > But due west of those towns, and up about 5,000 feet, are the National > Forests and Parks. Should I find myself in a remote primitive camping > area that is so beautiful it knocks my eyes out and I decide to stay a > few extra days, I may need to add water to the tank. Rather than trundle > down 5,000 feet to the nearest town just to take on a few gallons of > water, I will be able to take on water from any nearby lake or stream I > can get close enough to. When a fellow is equipped with a pump, hose, > and chlorine dioxide, a good solar rig, cold beer in the refrigerator, > and some good books, such a fellow is sittin' pretty -- in my view. > > -- > Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott > 71 Type 2: the Wonderbus > 84 Westfalia: Mellow Yellow ("The Electrical Banana") > 74 Utility Trailer. Ladybug Trailer, Inc., San Juan Capistrano > KG6RCR > > > > Mark Drillock typed: > >> I won't dispute it, I am nutz. But not because I won't build a pump, >> hose, and battery setup to drag along so I can fill my water tank with >> water I know is unsafe to use and also drag along and use special >> treatments to reduce that risk when safe water is easily available and I >> have a vehicle that was built to carry several days worth. >> >> ..............