Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 19 Apr 2007 12:26:30 -0800
From:         Mark Tuovinen <mst@AK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Alaska trip tips
Comments: To: Rob <becida@COMCAST.NET>

As a few others have already mentioned the Milepost is a great reference for the road, it gives a very detailed description from Seattle all the way to the end of which ever highway you end up on in Alaska. I have lived in Alaska most of my life and we usually have a copy around somewhere for use on extended trips. As for tips on where to stop, what to see, and other important stuff. That depends on how much time you have, what you like to do or see, and how far into Alaska you plan on traveling. Feel free to pmail me with more info and I can and will make better recommendations. The ferry trip through the inside passage is spectacular and worth considering for one direction of your trip. If you take the highway there are two choices for part of the trip, one is a little longer the other a little more remote but misses the hotsprings which are a nice stop on a long road trip. Skagway is a nice stop, it and Dyea are where the gold miners started their overland journey b ack in 1898. Should you need assistance near Whitehorse look up Johns' Auto just outside of town on the road to Skagway, they are knowledgeable and will reschedule local customers to get stranded travelers back on the road, BTDT. Whitehorse is a friendly town and as of our last trip through had a nice Italian restaurant should you tire of road trip chow. Dawson City via The Top of the World Highway(using the word highway loosely) is another great route to enter Alaska, this will have less traffic as much of it is gravel. Once in Alaska you either turn south toward Anchorage or continue northwest to Fairbanks depending on what you want to see and do. Pmail me about your interests and I will be more that happy to provide more tailored information for you.

Do you know when you are coming, this will affect some of the suggestions/ideas for you to consider. Should timing work out we may be able to meet up someplace. If nothing else you are welcome to stop in at our place in Anchorage, there is room in the driveway for another Vanagon.

Mark in AK

----- Original Message ----- From: Rob <becida@COMCAST.NET> Date: Tuesday, April 17, 2007 6:04 pm Subject: Alaska trip tips To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM