Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 19 Apr 2007 19:20:51 -0600
From:         Richard A Jones <jones@COLORADO.EDU>
Subject:      Re: window tinting - question!

> I had this done when I was in CA, and there it is illegal to > tint the drivers' and passenger's windows (makes the law enforcement > officers nervious) So my front windows are not tinted. > One thing I did learn is to make sure you get tint that has > metalic particles for the tint. The cheap-o tints tend to color > shift over time > The cool thing about the tint on my windows is that it > definitely is similar to one-way glass. I can see out just fine, > but if you were standing outside, it would be difficult to see inside > the van.

I drove my '81 Vanagon for 19 years with no tint. Then I bought my Syncro Westy that had tinted windows--and I am a believer! I think it is the single, best addition that you can do.

I think the tinters can get the film onto the Westy closet window without removing it. On my sliding door windows, the tint is coming up at one corner where it slides, but it is probably 10-15 years old. It is purple, and not optically clear, but no bubbles. The tint outfits say the purple is a feature of older films and should not happen today, with either dyed or metal particle films.

In most states, you can tint the front door windows to a lesser amount than the rest--that is the way mine is done-- so I have some tint there and darker tint the rest of the way 'round. And I agree on looking in--I seldom pull my curtains--just put up the windshield curtain and let it go.

Anyway, I kick myself for all the years I drove my untinted '81, and would get tint the next day if I bought something new.

Richard Boulder