Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 20 Apr 2007 07:40:28 -0700
From:         Michael Elliott <camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Ideas for lifting water into the Westy water tank?
Comments: To: Robert Fisher <refisher@MCHSI.COM>

Robert Fisher typed: > Anyway 110 pounds is a pretty small amount- you could easily get that in variance in > passenger's body weights, for instance.

Heh -- I probably yo-yo up and down in weight that much myself anyway. But still, if someone offered to pitch 100lbs of bricks into the back of the van before I headed up into the mountains, I'd probably decline the offer. I know which places I go to have water, and which don't. I have enough sense to bring water into places where I know or suspect potable water won't be available.

What I don't get is why folk even object to me taking along some bits and pieces that would make getting new water into the tank easier if I want more. I have a bucket and collapsible water jugs to fall back on in case my Rube Goldberg system doesn't work. But the doctors have told me to avoid carrying heavy loads whenever possible to reduce the risk of damage to my artificial knee, so I will try to use my goofy pump and hose idea first.

Probably 70% of my more than 30 years of camping has been in the desert. Your advice about taking plenty of water is, of course, the most important bestest advice someone can give. I'm never comfortable without knowing that I either have, or can get, water, and if I'm not peeing, I'm not hydrated. Fortunately (or not, depending on how you look at it), along the 395 and and to the car camping places on the eastern Sierra never takes a fellow far enough from civilization where he's gonna die from dehydration before some other people come along (probably in a giant F350 diesel with tinted windows and a thumpity-thumpity car stereo if my recent experience is any indication). Backpacking or backcountry offroad desert camping, now that's another story. I never count on finding water, always take plenty. I've run low, but never out.

Up 14? We come up the 15 from San Diego through Riverside/San Bernardino, up to Victorville and catch the 395 there. It's 170 miles that way from the 15/215 junction to where the 14 meets the 395. The other way -- going up the 15 to get to the 210 to get to the 14 then to 395 -- is 225 miles. A bit more. Still, if it's easier to go that way than climb over the Cajon grade, I'm all ears. Is 14 a gentler way to get up out of the basin into the high desert?

-- Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott 71 Type 2: the Wonderbus 84 Westfalia: Mellow Yellow ("The Electrical Banana") 74 Utility Trailer. Ladybug Trailer, Inc., San Juan Capistrano KG6RCR