Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 20 Apr 2007 13:37:51 EDT
From:         JordanVw@AOL.COM
Subject:      Re: removing the A/C
Comments: To: hecht.joy@GMAIL.COM

In a message dated 4/20/07 7:30:14 AM Eastern Daylight Time, hecht.joy@GMAIL.COM writes:

> [...]

i guess im just used to the "DPO's" ripping stuff out that i have to replace.. we all loathe those "DPO's".. if you tactfully remove the overhead ducting, and the evaporator and blower fans and the upper cabinet and carefully pack them away for future installation - unbolting the lines and capping them off so they dont get contaminated, leaving all the other lines and condenser and reciever dryer in place - then i think the vanagon gods would forgive you :<)

too many times ive gotten a vw that the DPO has "improved" (ie, f*cked up) ...case in point , i had bought a 9 passenger vanagon... it was missing the 3 person full width middle seat, and the front 2/3 seat was replaced w/ a single capt chair. i asked the guy what he did with the original seats.. (which are specific to the 9 passenger only) and he said "oh, i threw them out" grr..

if you do remove the a/c, you will have to source a entire overhead cabinet.. as the 88-91 westys did not have the opening in the overhead rear cabinet for a door, if it had a/c. and you will most likely have to settle for a beige overhead rear cabinet, since the chance of finding a grey overhead rear cabinet from a non-a/c late model westy is nearly NIL.. you could always spraypaint it grey to match your interior though.

and about freon escaping - i have removed compressors from vans that had non functioning a/c...and they still spewed out freon gas..

as for me ever living in a vanagon.. well i hope life never gets that bad for me .. jk...lol

chris