Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 15 Apr 2007 15:45:10 -0700
From:         Jake de Villiers <crescentbeachguitar@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: SPAM-LOW: Campgrounds along Truckee River in Calif.?
Comments: To: Michael Elliott <camping.elliott@gmail.com>

http://www.roadhaus.com/camp.php

On 4/15/07, Michael Elliott <camping.elliott@gmail.com> wrote: > > Thanks Wognacious. Good point about the proximity to the highway, and > the pointer to the Forest Service page. I needed to add a "www" to the > link to get it to work here. > > I like Forest Service and BLM campgrounds a lot. They tend to be quiet > and offer more seclusion than the state and private CGs I've looked at > in California. The only problem with picking CGs without actually > driving through them is that so few of them are reviewed or described > well enough to give a fellow any sense of what they are like. The FS > site is like that -- no descriptions. In summer, if a reservation isn't > made well ahead of time (for those CGs that allow reservations), finding > a site in a nice CG in a popular area like around Tahoe is difficult. > > Is it Larry Chase that has an online CG review page? I've lost the link > to it -- maybe some kind Vanagon owner has posted reviews for CGs around > the Lake Tahoe area. > > -- > Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott > 71 Type 2: the Wonderbus > 84 Westfalia: Mellow Yellow ("The Electrical Banana") > 74 Utility Trailer. Ladybug Trailer, Inc., San Juan Capistrano > KG6RCR > > > > wognacious typed: > > Anything along the Truckee is not going to be that isolated Hwy 89 is a > > main road into Lake Tahoe and is well traveled. Go to this web site for > > camping info > > > > http://fs.fed.us/r5/tahoe/recreation/tkrd/summer.shtml > > > > ------------------------------------------------------------------------ > > *From*: Michael Elliott <camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM> > > *Sent*: Saturday, April 14, 2007 8:36 AM > > *To*: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > > *Subject*: SPAM-LOW: Campgrounds along Truckee River in Calif.? > > > > Mrs Squirrel has to attend a conference in Reno, NV in July, at the end > > of which she wants to join me and Mellow Yellow and do a little camping > > near Lake Tahoe. She's thinking that if we can find a nice spot close to > > Tahoe, maybe along the Truckee river, she could talk her sons and > > grandkids into visiting. They'd want to stay in a Tahoe hotel and do the > > stuff they like to do, like gamble, and everyone can get together to go > > rafting and other outdoorsy stuff. > > > > The Truckee river area has been a popular camping destination for > > generations, and I imagine that campgrounds along the Truckee fill up > > soon and many, if not most, could not be be considered secluded by any > > stretch of the imagination. > > > > Recommendations? CGs that don't look like trailer parks, aren't as > > crowded as Hoovervilles > > ( > http://images.encarta.msn.com/xrefmedia/sharemed/targets/images/pho/t029/T029195A.jpg > )? > > > > -- > > Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott > > 71 Type 2: the Wonderbus > > 84 Westfalia: Mellow Yellow ("The Electrical Banana") > > 74 Utility Trailer. Ladybug Trailer, Inc., San Juan Capistrano > > KG6RCR > > >

-- Jake 1984 Vanagon GL 1986 Westy Weekender "Dixie" www.crescentbeachguitar.com