Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 20 Apr 2007 23:27:11 -0400
From:         John Reddick <SVYOLO@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: EB2007 Vanaru Test Drive

Engines make various amounts of mechanical clatter, but most of what you hear is the combustion. You hear it from 2 sources, the exhaust (obvious) and the intake (not so obvious). We have tried several intake arrangements, and probably a few dozen combos of exhaust components. We are going to stick with our intake for the foreseeable future as it is dead quiet, utilizing all Subaru parts. The exhaust components we are using are mostly stock Vanagon, not including the Smallcar headers. We are also offering a "performance exhaust" with larger muffler, cat and tubing, with similar noise levels. The exhaust note you heard this weekend was all stock Vanagon exhaust. It sounds very much like a WBXer driving, albeit much quieter at idle. You can barely hear it in a Westy at 65-70 mph. All Subaru van conversions don't sound the same as they don't all utilize the same intake and exhaust configurations. People love their vanagons, so we are trying to maintain our 4 cylinder Subaru conversions as "Vanagon-like" as possible. The extra 70 hp, better MPG and reliability are bonuses. It even looks stock from the outside. The engine that was in the silver Westy at Everybus was installed hours before Hans drove it to Everybus. I have done similarly quick trips to Chicago and FL right after installing a Subaru. We put em in, drive them,and forget about them. They very quickly seem "normal."

John East Coast Vanagon