Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 21 Apr 2007 19:48:35 -0700
From:         Mark Drillock <mdrillock@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Ideas for lifting water into the Westy water tank?
Comments: To: Michael Elliott <camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM>

Mike, in the last 20 years I have probably logged over 500,000 miles in watercooled Vanagons. I'd guess 75,000 miles of that was while also towing something behind it. If your vehicle is in such marginal shape that an additional 100 pounds in additional weight puts it at risk of not making it somewhere then you have no business taking it on such a long trip.

In all that time and all those miles I never wished I had left 100 pounds behind, other than perhaps a passenger here and there who was too much of a PITA. Many times I was glad I had extra water along. Several times I was sorry I didn't have more water on board. Several times other people who overheated on a major grade were glad I stopped and offered some of my water.

With all the extra crap I and others carry along sometimes, carrying the water I expect to later use hardly seems wicked. Most of my traveling is done where water is precious.

Mark