Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 15 Apr 2007 18:38:07 -0700
From:         Mike Rouby <mikerouby@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: In praise of aircooled vanagons
Comments: To: John <kayakjr@JUNO.COM>

Well put!! For more power and keeping it aircooled, you can't beat a 6 cyl Corvair for reliability and bang for the buck! I know one other person who is doing this swap :)

But I digress, the speed in Vanagon suites me fine :)

All the best, Mike

John <kayakjr@JUNO.COM> wrote: I'd agree you in general, having made the switch from air-cooled to water cooled, but I feel the air cooled engine is not suited to the weight of a Westy. VW must had to switch from air-cooled to water cooled in record time due to problems with the air cooled engine in the new heavier and boxier T3.

A std van, sure, but not with all the Westy stuff and then the camping stuff you add too it. I found myself in dangerous situations entering highways on steep short on-ramps. " One slow driver is a heck a lot more dangerous than one fast driver".

Lots of New England climbs are one lane with no pull-off, unlike out west there are a lot more 2-lane, or straighter roads to pass safely on. I know exceptions abound, but in general I find this true. Can't speak for the South West.

I'll say that the wasser boxer has an overly complicated cooling system, but it seems that most of the engine swaps are driven for the want/need for more power.

Just before I got this water-cooled van, I had planned on an engine swap in my air-cooled - for more power. I looked into getting more power from the air cooled motor, but after a lot of research it became apparent that the problems with the air-cooled motor are due to heat and anything that was going to increase power was going to increase heat and all the Jake Raby / Bernie Bergman DTR stuff was not going to stop the #3 valve from dropping.

Having said all that, if you are happy with the power, or lack of, in your air cooled (or diesel) powered van - then by all means stay with it. I re-built my air cooled motor and it was a truly enjoyable experience - next time the motor is going in a bug, dune-buggy or Bay!!!

Happy trails John

--------------------------------- Ahhh...imagining that irresistible "new car" smell? Check outnew cars at Yahoo! Autos.