Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 23 Apr 2007 11:31:08 -0600
From:         Martin Jagersand <jag@CS.UALBERTA.CA>
Subject:      Re: Jerks/surges when going from coasting to acceleration
Comments: To: Kenneth Lewis <kdlewis@northstate.net>

Hi,

It's a gas, fuel injected engine. It's actually a re-import to Germany from the US. I suspect it's a 1985, but could be '86 model. (German records show re-import date, not real year) VIN is WV2ZB0258FH068651

I finally identified the right connector for the throttle body switch. Turns out I have the "combined switch" arrangement found in Bentley on p. 24.35 and 24.58. (I had previoulsy been confused and probably pulled the wrong connector when I didn't find the two usual switches on top of the throttle body)

Checked switch: Switch always open. Checked other end of connector: always 12V. I used a high impedance DMM, so not sure what voltage would be with an analog meter.

Bentley says voltage should be 5V. So I guess there is a risk that this IO port on the computer is broken.

I had thought to try the "cut off test" by shorting the connector, but then was afraid I might break something more.

More precisely the jerking/surging symptom that started the investigation manifests itself as: 1. when slowly poressing the accelerator from idle for a little while nothing happens, then it surges. 2. When coasting with little engine power the bus can get into some kind of oscillation behaviour. It surges forward, then retards, surges etc.

Martin

On 4/22/07, Kenneth Lewis <kdlewis@northstate.net> wrote: > > You weren't quite clear, is it a diesel you are having problems with? If > not > I would tackle the three throttle body adjustments. Especially the idle > position sensor. > Ken Lewis > http://neksiwel.20m.com/ > Vanagon mods, tech info and O2 sensor help > >

-- Martin Jagersand University of Alberta http://www.cs.ualberta.ca/~jag/