Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 24 Apr 2007 10:41:57 -0700
From:         Jeff Michal <jeffmichal@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: External Wireless Amplifier

The coolest thing I have seen is the mobile hotspot. It uses CDMA EVDO to gain internet access ($80/month unlimited I think from Verizon) and then broadcasts standard 802.11 WiFi.

http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=1&pid=524 Will take you to the dlink page.

Pretty much this thing just accepts a standard PCMCIA card for the EVDO internet, and then acts like a normal cable/dsl router from there.

I have seen carrier grade versions of this device if you were going.to do a permanant professional type install, and the carrier grade ones have removable antaennas so you could get real creative with directional broadcasts if you wanted to.

If you can stomach the monthly price, it is definately internet almost everywhere.

Jeff 90 GL

----- Original Message ---- From: Aaron <lists@MYCOMMUNITYNET.NET> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Tuesday, April 24, 2007 12:39:25 AM Subject: Re: External Wireless Amplifier

If you are looking for something that works well with any platform (provided there is wireless nearby), you might look at a (non-usb) wifi to ethernet bridge. It basically takes a wireless and bridges it to regular ethernet. So you plug it in, plug an ethernet cable into it from your computer and if there is a non-protected accesspoint you should be good to go. It works well, but you still have to have a regular wireless signal nearby.

You might get a few hundred feet out of it, but don't expect miracles.

http://www.keenansystems.com/store/ engenius_senao_200_mw_cb3_client_bridge_2611-cb3-plus.htm