Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 24 Apr 2007 17:40:24 -0400
From:         Mike <mbucchino@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: Front Seat Reversal
Comments: To: Richard Koerner <RKoerner@AVANTMEDICAL.COM>

It will not work. No way to slide the seat on the rails backwards, and no room if you could somehow do that. Remove the wheel and maybe it'll work, but even then, the column will be in the way. Buy a swivel mechanism or two. Thw steering wheel is easy enough to remove, just one nut.

Mike B.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Richard Koerner" <RKoerner@AVANTMEDICAL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Tuesday, April 24, 2007 2:06 PM Subject: Front Seat Reversal

I have an 85 GL (non-westy) and regularly reverse the front passenger seat when camping; easy, takes me about 1 minute, and really opens up the area and provides a nice lounge chair.

The thought finally struck me, "Hey, what about also reversing the driver's seat?" It looks the steering wheel would still fit into the curve of the backrest with the driver's seat reversed.

Question is, how to remove and re-install the driver's seat in it's tracks? With the passenger seat, no problem: slide forward off tracks, reverse, and re-enter tracks on the front. I seems like this wouldn't be possible on the driver's side since the steering wheel is in the way. Does (or can) the driver's side seat remove towards the rear? Are there stops that would have to be (somehow) removed?

I understand you Westy folks out there only rotate the driver's seat 90 degrees, and there would be no room for your feet even if you did rotate it 180 degrees. But for us regular Vanagon folks, especially for guys like me with homemade camping interior, this driver's seat rotation is an interesting option. Anybody done it?

Rich '85 GL, San Diego