Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 24 Apr 2007 14:59:50 -0700
From:         "Mike \"Rocket J Squirrel\" Elliott" <camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Some Hwy 395 trip stuff
Comments: To: Robert Fisher <refisher@MCHSI.COM>

On 4/24/2007 11:01 AM Robert Fisher wrote:

> > The other Mike (Squirrel type) said: "Up 14? We come up the 15 from San > Diego through Riverside/San Bernardino, up to Victorville and catch the 395 > there. It's 170 miles that way from the 15/215 junction to where the 14 > meets the 395. The other way -- going up the 15 to get to the 210 to get to > the 14 then to 395 -- is 225 miles. A bit more. Still, if it's easier to go > that way than climb over the Cajon grade, I'm all ears. Is 14 a gentler way > to get up out of the basin into the high desert?" > > There are a few significant grades south of Palmdale but they're nothing > like Cajon. I believe you're making the same climb elevation-wise for the > most part but generally it's much more gradual and spread out.

Hi Robert, I fired up my copy of DeLorme's Topo 6 and had it show me the profile of the two routes: up 15 from San Berdoo to Cajon, and up 14. Both routes contained a long portion that climbed steadily up up up for 10 - 20 miles. Looking at those portions alone, the average grade up to Cajon was 7% according to the software, while the average grade up 14 was 8%.

I agree with you entirely about how dismal, dreary, and stunningly ugly it is from Cajon to Inyokern along the 15 / 395. Slit your wrist depressing.

--

Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott 71 Type 2: the Wonderbus 84 Westfalia: Mellow Yellow ("The Electrical Banana") 74 Utility Trailer. Ladybug Trailer, Inc., San Juan Capistrano KG6RCR