Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 24 Apr 2007 22:30:55 -0400
From:         craig cowan <phishman068@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      backfiring?

I'm not sure if Backfiring is the term i would use to describe my woes, but theres definately a problem. First, a little background history: My '85GL ran happily up until one day, when the distributor essentially died. It was destroyed and needed to be replaced, and i replaced it. The distributor actually ejected itself from the engine far enough that it was no longer catching (when it died). So, with a new distributor in place, and the timing set to as close as we seem to be able to get it (though it sitll could be off), the engine runs with considerably less power than it had before. This suprisingly, is not that big of a problem, it is the way in which the power is applied that kills me. If i come to a stop and hit the gas (pedal to the floor)(manual transmission), it just about dies and takes about 5 seconds to actually "catch" and start to move, then it accelerates accordingly. So, after getting the bus safely home, i ran the engine and messed with the throttle body. If i reved it real fast (while standing over the engine doing it by hand), there would be a huge hesitation. However, if i applied the throttle slowly, all would be well. After doing this a few times, i realised that when i hit the gas fast, there is a distinct popping or hitting sound from the right side of the engine that truely sounds like its coming from inside the intake mainfold/rubber piece coming from the airfilter box. It soudns like the stereotypical backfire! I somehow just passed emissions (even though i know there's a hole in my muffler), and the O2 sensor is new.

My problem can best be summed up as a HUGE hesitation when laying on the gas.

It's not safe for the road as a result of this. By the way, i have a fealing the thermostat may be stuck open, as the engine temp guage has not changed once since the distributor accident. The engine runs pretty poorly (in general). Any ideas?

Thanks a million!!!

-Craig '85Gl (REALLY needs help getting htis bad boy back together)