Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 25 Apr 2007 12:33:46 -0700
From:         Jake de Villiers <crescentbeachguitar@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Southern Utah Advice?
Comments: To: Jim Akiba <syncrolist@bostig.com>

What a great time of year for a cross-country road trip in a refreshed Vanagon........ I'm envious! :)

Have a terrific trip guys.

Jake

On 4/25/07, Jim Akiba <syncrolist@bostig.com> wrote: > > Thanks a bunch guys for all of the input. With work being so close to the > wire, I have one day to pack and prepare for the entire trip. Needless to > say that is going to be tough to do properly. Anyhow I've been forwarding > all the posts to Ted one of our park ranger friends that is going to meet > up > with us at that point in the trip. Should be fun. Most of this is going to > get sorted out on the road from Milwaukee to Hollister ha > > Thanks again! > > Jim > > -----Original Message----- > From: Tom Buese [mailto:tombuese@COMCAST.NET] > Sent: Wednesday, April 25, 2007 12:06 AM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Re: Southern Utah Advice? > > On Apr 24, 2007, at 6:53 PM, honemastert wrote: > > > Jim, > > > > Zion NP is not to be missed.. it's a sandstone version of > > Yosemite National Park. You have to park and shuttle in, which > > sucks a bit, but its not too bad really. > > Yep, it is a tourist wonderland. > > > > > Do the "Angels Landing" hike, very cool..! > > > > I've been to Bryce, if youre already at Zion, it's > > worth the detour. There's a cool hike you can do that > > takes you in/around the hoodoos. > > > > If you're headng up to the north, by way of Cayonlands/Arches > > then by all means hit those. > > Take highway 12 past Bryce thru Grand Staircase National Monument, > another huge incredible area which only has Monument status, but is > as spectacular as the other NP's in the area. You can get to Moab, > Arches, & Canyonlands from Boulder, Utah over the Burr Trail if you > want to get off the paved road. > > > > > The 'big ditch' er uh the Grand Canyon, is a bit of a sidetrip > > from Utah. North Rim is nice and less touristy that the > > South Rim, but it's a ways off the main road from Jacob's > > Lake, to get there. > Check to see if the North Rim is open when you go in May, as it is > alot higher than the south rim & doesn't open till the snow is gone > in late spring. > > > > > A week (plus driving time) will be hard to choose. I'd pick > > Bryce/Zion over Canyonlands/Arches myself, but really depends > > upon your route. > > They are closer to your eventual destination, SLC, but much more > commercial & crowded than Canyonlands. In any event practice your > German, French, Japanese, etc. as many folks visiting those areas are > European or Asian, & seem to appreciate the areas more than the locals. > > Tom B.- May can be peak time down there >

-- Jake 1984 Vanagon GL 1986 Westy Weekender "Dixie" www.crescentbeachguitar.com