Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 22 Apr 2007 14:58:34 EDT
From:         Jeff Oxroad <Oxroad@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Earth Day,  Vanagon bumper sticker content only

Remember in the old days we had a symbol for Ecology? Remember, it was an oval lying on its side with a lateral line through the middle? Maybe it was green. Is that symbol still used or has it gone the way of the crying Native American on the polluted river bank?

With today being Earth Day, and in an effort to do my part, I searched the net for bumper stickers for my bus that show I care. Nothing says "I care" more convincingly than a polyvinyl sticker on the bumper of your rig.

When I realized the ecology symbol was all but gone, it made me wonder. My reverie took me to; is a "hybrid" SUV really all that much better than a plain old SUV? And finally, I thought it's almost as if we've lost some of the momentum we had back when we had a symbol.

And then it made me think with the way VW attorneys aggressively (and almost foolishly) protect the use of its symbol, maybe symbols really are important when you're trying to get your product or message out there. And since the Vanagon is little more than a billboard on wheels I say find some message, some symbol, to share with the person blowing their horn behind you on that uphill grade. And when that person finally gets an opening and is able to pass you by while giving you the finger you can feel good about sharing with them some small message that may make the world a better place.

Then, put on your high beams and give them the finger back.

Happy Earth Day.

Best, Jeff 83.5 Westy LA, CA