Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 25 Apr 2007 21:20:06 -0500
From:         Ron Mueller <wasserbox@MSN.COM>
Subject:      Re: Need a New Exhaust System, S&S Any Good?

I must say this,and not to degrade anyone's particular product, but after a lengthy thread at the samba.com regarding a very unusual situation where a gentleman had a very hard time with the warrantee of the stebro muffler, with no response for quite some time, from Frank or the manufacture. Personally, after taking a look at the rectangular unit available from Canada, and after looking at the price to my door which would exceed $500.00, I decided to go with the other stainless muffler available, which was way under $400.00 delivered in less than 4 days, came polished, has 1/4 inch stock type mounting flanges, and fits as well as the stock muffler once did, and using all of the genuine VW mounting hardware. I don't really cae for the welded on substitute mounting tab which from what I understand has a occasional preponderence of snapping off. The stainless muffler's I have now fitted to both of my Vanagons are a piece of artwork, and are well worth every penny I spent on them. The big plus was the offering of either a stock baffled muffler as well as a turbo muffler. I have one of each, and am very pleased at how nice they really are. I like parts that fit well, and just as the stock equipment should fit. For this I tip my hat to Terry , who has done a magnificent job of recreating the Vanagon mufler in 304 stainless that fits like a glove. My advise to anyone looking for a long lasting, good looking muffler take a good look at what he has to offer. A+++ craftsmanship. Ron ----- Original Message ----- From: "Frank Condelli" <RAlanen@AOL.COM<mailto:RAlanen@AOL.COM>> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM<mailto:vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM>> Sent: Tuesday, April 24, 2007 5:24 AM Subject: Re: Need a New Exhaust System, S&S Any Good? > In a message dated 23/04/2007 11:08:16 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, > LISTSERV@GERRY.VANAGON.COM<mailto:LISTSERV@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> writes: > > So my 88 Wolfsburg Auto needs a new exhaust system, I really do not have > the > cash for a Ceramic coated unit or stainless steel unit. I was thinking > of > getting the S&S unit the Ken sells at Vanagain. > > Anyone purchase this? I would love to hear your feedback. > > Did it actually provide any horsepower boost? > > How long before it starts to rust? > > I am in NY State so I know it will rust eventually, is there anything > that > it can be coated with to slow the process? > > Any special installation issue to be aware of? > > Thanks for all your feedback. > > > > > > Robert, may I suggest you consider using my Stainless Steel Exhaust > system - > _STEBRO/Vanagon Stainless Steel Exhaust System_ > (http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/stebro.htm<http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/stebro.htm>) . This will insure it's the > last time you have to have your > system replaced. The labour to change an exhaust system on a Vanagon can > vary > wildly due to the problem of getting the eight connections at the four > head > flanges off. If the come loose easily then things are fine. But if any > of > the connectors break because they are seized and badly rusted then your > in for > some labour charges to fix the problem. It's always best to remove all > the > connectors so that the exhaust ports can be cleaned and made flat so the > new > gasket will seal well. Then, use all new stainless steel bolts, coated > with > anti-seize to install the new headers to the heads. The other > problematic > area is the muffler brackets. If your brackets are fine then replacing > with a > stock muffler is easy. If your brackets are rusted away then you will > need to > remove them and the bolts tend to seize in the engine/muffler carrier and > can be a lengthy job to remove. Those brackets are expensive dealer > items only > hence one of the reasons to consider my STEBRO/Vanagon Stainless Steel > Muffler, as it comes with it's own integral brackets plus the tail pipe. > You will > see on my website an Installation guide for my stainless steel system. > This > guide can be useful to anyone installing any system including OEM ones. > Hope this helps ! > > > > Cheers, > > Frank Condelli > Almonte, Ontario, Canada > '87 Westy, '90 Carat, '87 Wolfsburg (Forsale) & Lionel Trains > (_Collection > for sale_ (http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/trainsal.htm<http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/trainsal.htm>) ) > _Frank Condelli & Associates_ > (http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/busindex.html<http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/busindex.html>) > - Vanagon/Vanagon Westfalia Service in the Ottawa Valley > _Vanagon Stainless Steel Exhaust Systems_ > (http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/stebro.htm<http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/stebro.htm>) > _BusFusion_ (http://members.aol.com/BusFusion/bfhome.htm<http://members.aol.com/BusFusion/bfhome.htm>) a VW Camper > camping event, Almonte, ON, June 07 ~ 10, 2007 >