Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 25 Apr 2007 21:35:58 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson@GORGE.NET>
Subject:      Re: Speaking of AC and Vanagons
Comments: To: BenT Syncro <syncro@gmail.com>

Thanks all.

Another masterpiece of eminence. This reminds me to pay closer attention to that old saying, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"...My vent windows worked just fine, until I oiled everything I could reach, including those pivots, Thinking, hey all this stuff could use some oil...door latches, hand brake linkage, etc etc......window pivots....NOT.. that I will now have to re-fix that "fix" with a lot more work...dang. Don Hanson ----- Original Message ----- From: BenT Syncro To: Don Hanson Cc: vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com Sent: Wednesday, April 25, 2007 9:20 PM Subject: Re: Speaking of AC and Vanagons

On 4/25/07, Don Hanson <dhanson@gorge.net> wrote: The "AC" in my poo poo brown faux-Westie is broken and I've tried to "repair" it once already, but it broke even worse during my repair attempt. Now, I went to a lot of trouble to find a Vanagon with this kinda AC, which I call "manual" AC. I like to turn out the wing windows and roll all the others down or slide em open on hot days to keep cool. This type AC works great and is usually pretty easy to keep "working", but the dang vent windows in the front doors, we called em "wind wings" when most all cars had em, mine won't stay out. They blow shut, or almost shut, on their own when I drive west in the Gorge into the famous Windsurf/kiteboard winds. Or when a semi-truck blasts past at speed on a two lane, same deal.. Being a 'direct approach' kinda guy, I tried taking a punch and a hammer and "tightening up" the pivot posts on my drivers side....I guess I shoulda taken out the glass first, but I took it out, piece by piece, with a broom after a few taps....And replaced the glass from The Samba... So how DO I get a little more friction to keep my wing windows (Door vents, Manual AC, whatever) at the angle I put them? There must be a 'trick'.. Don Hanson

Don,

There is a clamp that regulates tension on the pivot post. Unfortunately, it's buried in the guts of the door. You need to remove the door panel to access the area where the adjustment can be made.

Cheers,

BenT

-- BenT