Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 26 Apr 2007 02:47:00 -0700
From:         BenT Syncro <syncro@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: TIPS
Comments: To: mark@franell.co.za

On 4/25/07, Jim Arnott <jr.arnott@gmail.com> wrote: > > Ended up in the Vanagon List catch-all. > > Begin forwarded message: > > > From: "Mark Voelger" <mark@franell.co.za> > > Date: April 25, 2007 8:26:06 AM PDT > > To: <GERRY@vanagon.com> > > Subject: TIPS > > > > I am a Syncronaut from South Africa looking for some tips, I have a > > Syncro that has no power steering is it possible to retro fit it > > with a power steering rack? > > > > Thank you and Kindest Regards Mark Völger

Mark,

Yes, absolutely. The easiest way is to have a comeplte donor with all the necessary parts. However, you can add on as you get them. This has been addressed in the archives. I have even contributed to it when I converted my 2wd Doka to powersteering (PS).

Here's a quick overview. You need all the hardware for your specific engine to mount the PS pump. We did not get as many engines options in the US so it is simpler for us. Then you need the metal pipes that run from the PS rack to the engine in the rear. You can substitute rubber hose of the proper rating for this. One side is high pressure and the second is return line only. Of course, you will also need a PS rack. The steering knuckles are also drilled in a different spot to take advantage of the mechanical advantage afforded by the PS system. You can retain the steering knuckles from your manual to reduce the cost of the install with the only disadvantage of having slightly slower steering (slightly more turns or the wheel from lock-to-lock). You will need to weld or bolt on a holder for the PS fluid reservoir as well. Don't forget to get the lower steering shaft as well as the PS shaft has a different coupler and is shorter than the one in the manual vans. That should just about do it. IIRC the ECU in the later models such as the Syncro can compensate for the added load of the PS pump when turning.

BTW, for anyone contemplating this swap who is in need of a PS rack, I have two brand new ones available.

Cheers,

BenT