Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 26 Apr 2007 10:37:05 EDT
From:         JordanVw@AOL.COM
Subject:      how to fix cracked intrument cluster housings where speedo/tach
              mount to cluster
Comments: To: colorworks@GCI.NET

In a message dated 4/26/07 2:29:44 AM Eastern Daylight Time, colorworks@GCI.NET writes:

> Sounds like a great idea Keith. That JB weld is amazing stuff. Mike Collum > e-mailed me and also gave me a great suggestion, which was to glue a > screw, technically a bolt, in place with JB Weld, essentially making a > stud, and then putting a nut on top. Fortunately, there seem to be just > enough plastic left to use a longer sheet-metal screw. I used a brass > bushing (imagine a straw made out a brass) that slipped over the screw to > take up the slack, and support the corners. It seems to be pretty stable, > and certainly much stronger than hot melt glue on the flat sections. > >

i used Devcon brand "plastic welder" to fix the cracked screw bosses in the instrument cluster housing.

nearly all vanagon instument clusters are going to have some of the screw bosses cracked where the speedometer or tach screws into the back of the instrument cluster housing. after 15-25 years, its inevitable.

i remove the speedo or tach, and remove the screws.

then i coat the screw lightly with grease - not too much.. then wipe the excess off. i also coat the edge/lip of the speedo or tach with grease where it will come in contact with the plastic welder epoxy then wipe the excess off. i do this so it wont stick.

then i clean the cracked screw bosses..and use black electrical tape, to build a "form" or "mold" to hold the epoxy.

i then mix up the plastic welder epoxy, and spread into damaged areas, building it up where the plastic once was.

then i reinstall the speedo or tach, and lightly run the screws in by finger pressure.

once dried, you will be able to remove the screws..

chris