Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 26 Apr 2007 12:05:51 -0700
From:         Old Volks Home <oldvolkshome@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: That VW Brown...

I have been full-timing in my 84 Westfalia for 8 years now and frankly, it's getting old. But I do not have the desire to "plant" myself in a domocile for an obscene amount of monthly rent or mortgage either and yes, at the ripe young age of 54, I apparently still have too much of the "wanderlust" in my system. So I have recently taken the plunge myself in purchasing a 24' Class C motorhome to move into shortly. With some "cabbage" juggling, I've been lucky to pay cash for it and it is an older (not brand new) rig that is fortunately in excellent mechanical condition (the previous owner [original] really took meticulous care of it]). I'm a person of pretty simple means and have made-do with the restricted room of the Westy for so long that to me my new "digs" are spacious in comparison. Like Dennis, I've been hooked on RVs for a very long time having rented them from time to time to enjoy the luxuries they offer (OK, so I'm a softy at times) that makes it better to use one of these, rather than the Westy. While I enjoy the sparse creature comforts of the Westy, those comforts can only go so far and lately I'm finding my needs are "wanting". So I figure it's time to step up. I don't imagine I'll ever step up to a Class A though. As Dennis has indicated, I will have to develop a different, but similar mechanical mind-set as I will do most of the maintenance myself whenever possible.

In regards to "getting to know your neighbors" in the RV parks that I do stop at has never really been a problem for me. Maybe it's the places I've been to and being the out-going person I sometimes am, I find it easy to strike up a conversation with the Class A or C owner parked next to me in most venues I stay at. I find they're interested and some even envious of my rig and some are even previous Vanagon or Westy owners. Some have even commented that sometimes they miss the simpler lifestyle of "roughing it" in the Westy. Friendships are developed, email or phone numbers are sometimes exchanged (hey, having a driveway to park for the night in the Westy is a bonus).

To be sure, the lifestyles are different, but one has to make the effort to extend the "hand of interest" (or friendship). Not all are receptive of course, but you'd be surprised at how many are.

And no, I will never sell "Ole Putt", it's the ultimate multi-purpose camping/rv vehicle that can never be adequately replaced. Most of my journeys will continue to be made in it. -- Jim Thompson 84 GL 1.9 "Gloria" 84 Westfalia 2.1 "Ole Putt" 73 K Ghia Coupe "Denise" 72 411 Station Wagon "Pug" oldvolkshome@gmail.com http://www.oldvolkshome.com *********************************** On 4/25/07, Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@hotmail.com> wrote: > > I happen to be one of those folks with a large RV and I often pull the > Syncro Westy behind me. How else can I attend a Westy outing? RV'ers get > hooked on these things for many reasons. Some are older folks and there > are > the snow birds and full timers. There are also the occasional family > travelers, weekend warriors, etc. One thing about most of us, we > passionate > about our rigs just like Vanagon owners and boaters. Most RV's do have a > lot > in common with the Vanagon. They are under powered with questionable > brakes. > If you think Vanagons have tire issues, you ain't seen nothing until you > get > an RV. If you are not mechanically inclined when you buy one, you will be > before you sell it. The happiest days are often the day you buy and the > day > you sell. As for economics, air fare and hotel can often be cheaper. > > For me, we travled for many years, someitmes as many as five in the Westy > Capmper. NY to California, Florida many a time. we even did a NY to Alaska > trip. For a number of reasons, in 1997 we bought a used motor home. Family > of four and elder in laws required soemthing bigger and I was looking for > a > tow vehicle for my antique car. After a few trips in it, I became > addicted. > In 99 we went from the 27' class C to a 34" Class A with a slide. In 2004, > We went to the Cat powered Pusher with 3 slides. Yes, nut job is I. > > I live to use this thing. I love to drive it, sleep in it, use all the > toys > in it. It is my castle when away. I share it with friends, ball games, > concerts, Nascar, any excuse for a tailgate party. Sometimes I just go out > in it while parked in the back yard. > > And when the time or need is right, I still take trips in the Westy. I > can't > part with it. > > Dennis