Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 22 Apr 2007 17:45:56 -0600
From:         Jeremy Speer <jspeer@POBOX.COM>
Subject:      For Sale?

Hey folks,

well, this is a strange sort of message, but here goes: my wife and i are leaving Boise Idaho and heading back to the east coast. We're looking over our stuff and thinking what comes and what doesn't.

I wanted to post this here first because if anybody would understand what i'm saying it would be other Westy owners: if you, or anybody you know, has been lusting after a Westy, this could be a good opportunity. I'm not looking to simply sell my van... i'm looking to "hand it off" to the next person who will take care if it, use it, and enjoy it. I'm not looking to give it away... but i am willing to negotiate.

If i were to list it for sale i think a fair price would $8,000... but i just can't stomach the idea of dealing with people who don't know what a Westy is... and think they're getting something they're not. The first time i heard somebody say "doesn't have much power..." i'd probably go berserk.

So.... if anybody knows somebody who has been patiently waiting for decent westy to come along, this could be their opportunity.

Some specifics: 1989 Westy GL, dove blue, manual transmission, about 186,800 miles. Engine and transmission are both rebuilds. Body is better than what you would expect for a 3-owner vanagon that started its life on salty winter roads in Missouri. I installed a brand new propane tank when i acquired the vehicle. I have taken very good care of all things mechanical, all repair records are available. Refrigerator works magnificently (i upgraded the fan with one from GoWesty) as does the in-tank water pump. AC fans blow fine, but needs fresh freon (surprise, surprise). I re-wired the cruise control and it has worked flawlessly ever since. I even had the front heater blower replaced... the rear heater core was replaced just before i took possession of the van. It has four brand-new Big O PathMax tires. They're a bit noisy, but offer excellent traction.

The interior is used, but in excellent condition. We take care of our stuff, but it's not a pristine show car. The canvas is original and has some marks on it, but has no tears. The mosquito netting is in excellent shape. The upstairs and downstairs beds are in excellent condition. The skylight is a "skylight guy" double, copper tint. The pop-top seal was replaced by the previous owner and is in excellent shape.

There's nothing wrong with the van... in fact a buyer could do what i had hoped to do when i bought the van but was unable to due to needed work: show up, drive off, and camp all the way home.

I will be more than happy to discuss specifics or answer any questions and will happily disclose everything i've discovered in the years i've had the van.

There are tons of photos of the van online: http://homepage.mac.com/jspeer_mn/craters/ http://homepage.mac.com/jspeer_mn/deva/ http://homepage.mac.com/jspeer_mn/zion/ http://homepage.mac.com/jspeer_mn/PhotoAlbum18.html

Yes, the Fiamma F35 awning is included. So are the Thule racks.

Contact me off-list, or call 612-735-4824

Thanks everybody,

-jspeer