Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 27 Apr 2007 12:34:20 -0700
From:         neil <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Trip Report. Long!

Hi all.

I'll try to keep this less than long winded.......... ;^)

After a quick fuss over getting fridge to light, and a quick look in basement and subsequent install of "new" sink faucet, I was off to the races.

Started out with a visit to FLAPS in Blaine WA after my speedo started going nuts. Jumping way high, then pinned! And stuck! Wow! didn't now I could go that fast! Anyhow, I bought some "Marvel Mystery Oil" (there was no 3 in 1) and put some down speedo cable. This eventually helped. After the brief visit, I camped out at Birch Bay. Not too many people there, a nice setting, but a tree chipper started up. I had visons of "Fargo" but continued to enjoy my Becks and camp fire.

The next day, after a ferry ride from Edmonds to Kingston, and brief visit to Port Townsend, I boogied to Dosewallips state park. Was a bit drizzly, but quiet. A nice fire, more Becks, some "Hootie and the Blow Fish" and "Jaco" and rain didn't matter.

A longer drive came the following day. I made hay, going through Aberdeen down to Nehalam. After crossing the dreaded bridge from WA to Astoria OR. Thankfully it wasn't too windy!

Enjoyed 3 nights at Nehalem, though was surprised at how busy it got on a non holiday, rainy weekend. Regardless, Thurs (April 19) was great weather, but saddly things got rainy. Was glad to have 110 for electric heater as I got soaked pretty good on a walk Saturday.

During my time scouting area from Nehalem, I visited "Beaver Bob" Wow. Bob's shop is in Beaver OR, and has the most amazing collection of Beetle, and older bus stuff. I went there looking for a speedo, but he had no Vanagon stuff. He did, however, have a lot to say about certain things. Regardless, was worth the visit. Just wish I'd brought my camera! Of note, on way back to camp, I stopped in at Bay City looking for the local library. What nice people in Bay City! Dropped into local Art's Centre thinking it was library, and found a group of women who were baking bread for a fund raiser. They had just started sampling their wares when I appeared, and invited me in for a slice of bread. Then I met a couple of helpful youths, one of whom directed me to local library. As I say, nice people.

So from Nehalem, I trucked up through Elsie, Jewell, Mist, to Veronia seeing some nice country, then tracked back, decided NOT to stay at (Eddies??) campground as I didn't like the looks of it, and it was raining, but crossed back to WA (damn that long bridge) and settled in at Fort Canby (pretty sure of name) campground near Ilwaco. Really nice camp grounds and it was sunny.

The weather stayed ok through juant up to Grayland and Westport and after a couple stops to auto wreckers near Aberdeen, (BTW, there's an 85 with some stuff left on it at wrecker on South side of # 12 east of Aberdeen, and I've been told that a place under business name of "Gordons" west of Aberdeen in Hoquaim that might have Vanagon stuff) and a night at Lake Sylvia (Quaint. Lake side!) I wailed throught the intermittent rain up to Port Townsend, took the ferry to Whidbey Island, (awesome island) stayed one night at Ft. Ebey, (another really nice site) then trundled up through Sumas to home.

All in all a great 4000+ KM trip. And I managed to practice my trombone withouth offending too many people, had no mechanical problems other than a washer floating around fuse panel contacts (and making wipers wierd out!!), a speedo that finally settled into a steady 20 KM higher than normal readout, a yet to be determined intermittent squeal from RF, (kinda like a tiny train wheel on the track) and a vibration at 110-120 KM's (my speedo readout), the van worked well. Brakes were ok, and engine worked like a hot damn and weather was good until latter half of trip. And as I say, no one was injured in the practising of trombone, although I may have confused some wildlife with some of my tones. I could have been blasting out mating calls and not known it !

Many thanks to those who helped me get all the work done. Of course now there is more work to do, as I managed to score a bunch of parts yesterday from a soon to be wrecked 81. Anyhow.....

Cheers,

Neil.

-- Neil Nicholson. 1981 Air Cooled Westfalia.

http://web.mac.com/tubaneil