Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 28 Apr 2007 04:56:54 -0600
From:         Martin Jagersand <jag@CS.UALBERTA.CA>
Subject:      LPG Pressure, furnace and fridge observations, Was: Propex heater
Comments: To: azsun99@EARTHLINK.NET

Hi Jerry and others.

Regarding your question about furnace sound and gas pressure: I have a similar size German Truma E1800 heater. Curiously my propane setup came with a variable LPG regulator when I bought Popul, the '85 camper I have here in Europe.

I don't have a pressure gauge, but set the LPG regulator knob so that the stove flame is similar to the '82 westy with original regulator I have in Canada.

At this standard westy gas pressure setting the Truma furnace gas flame is pretty quiet. If I turn up the gas pressure I also get a "growling sound" as you describe. The Truma is rated for 50mBar gas pressure. Is this what the standard Westy regulator provides?

Regarding your problem starting the heater, there are a few strages that the control electronics will go through from start to heatig operation. Did you notice if it attempted to open the gas valve? Fired the lighter/ignition spark? The times that the Truma didn't start I located the problem to the electromagnetic gas input valve. The electronics will activate this for a few seconds, and try to light the flame. If lighting doesn't succeed, or the flame sensor doesn't heat up quickly enough the gas will be again shut. On the Truma one can hear the click from the valve, then a series of somewhat different sounding clicks/sparks from the ignition. When the valve once wouldn't open, I fixed it by just taking the valve unit off and shaking it so the plungers inside would free up. (This was early in the season, it was cold and the van had been sitting during the winter)

Another note: Popul's fridge is pretty tricky to light. I noticed that it lights and works ok at the original Westy pressure, but will neither light, nor stay on at a LPG pressure noticeably higher or lower than that.

Also, the original regulator in my '82 is a 2-step regulator. The variable regulator someone put in the '85 is a 1 step (and may be for a different (higher?) flow applications -- few applications use as little propane as a fridge alone. More common is perhaps big space heaters, BBQ etc).

With the 1-step regulator I notice a decrease in the fridge flame (through the little window in the back of the fridge) when I light the stove. A hypothesis is that a good 2-step regulator might do a better job keeping the pressure constant through varying flow rates. What do others think? (busdepot also sells a 2-step replacement, but most ones in stores are 1-step)

Also, can someone with a Dometic spec sheet please look up the rated gas pressure for the fridge? Preferably in mBar.

I'm going to try to buy a new regulator here and hope to get one that is right for both the fridge and furnace. (stove pressure being exactly right is probably a bit less critical)

Cheers, Martin -- Martin Jagersand University of Alberta http://www.cs.ualberta.ca/~jag/

*Date:* Fri, 27 Apr 2007 23:03:14 -0700 *Reply-To:* Gerald Masar <azsun99@EARTHLINK.NET> *Sender:* Vanagon Mailing List <vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com> *From:* Gerald Masar <azsun99@EARTHLINK.NET> <http://gerry.vanagon.com/cgi-bin/wa.exe?A2=ind0704d&L=vanagon&D=0&P=54503> *Subject:* Propex heater *Content-Type:* text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"

I recently installed a Propex HS 2000 in my '90 Westy, and increased the gas pressure to the recommended 13"W.C. It is wired to the aux battery under the driver's seat and I also installed a connection to run it off of an external power pack if necessary. I have two propane tanks. I don't do cold very well :(. So, a shakedown cruise was made last week, to the South Rim of The Grand Canyon. Elevation just under 7,000', daytime temps in 50's and 60's, and nighttime into the 20's and 30's, and one day of cold, miserable gale-force winds. Nice to be able to stay inside and stay warm. So far, so good. On the 3rd morning, woke up to see the LED flashing code for low battery. Switch to the other battery and back in business. On the fourth morning, woke up to see LED flashing code for no gas. Okay, well the stove still worked, but switched to the other tank anyway. Now, not okay. Still says no gas. Switched unit off and on several times, switched tanks, still no go. On the way home, stopped for lunch and tried it again on #1 tank. Now it works and is still working. QUESTIONS: Has anyone else experienced intermittent operation under similar conditions? I hope it isn't altitude related, because some of my favorite campgrounds are at 9,000' and 10,000'. The instruction manual says that the red LED should dim after set temp is reached, indicating unit is in standby. Mine doesn't, does yours? The noise of the burner, at least until the fan speeds up and masks it, I would describe as kind of a growling noise, not a smooth sound. What does yours sound like?

A phone call to PropexUSA so far has been inconclusive.

Oh yes, the trip otherwise was great. My campsite was invaded one afternoon by about 20 elk. Had some good views of a couple of condors soaring close overhead. You really have to keep an eye out for them, but they are there. One of the guys behind the window at the campground check-in drives a Vanagon. The campground was never full and seldom even crowded. Stay out of the clothing section of the market. Went in for a box of cereal and came out with some really nice Mountain Khakis pants. Don't ask $$.

Jerry, in Arizona (where else?), less than half a day from the rim. It was 90º here at home, but I still want reliable heat when I need it.