Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 28 Apr 2007 14:38:12 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: wiring and fuses for 80/100w bulbs
Comments: To: groups.florian@GMAIL.COM

First off, the normal power supply while running is the alternator, not the battery. This is where you need to determine your needs and upgrade your supply connection. The stock set up is basically a #10 wire from the alternator to the large battery cable connected at the starter. This is the first restriction and with all consumers turned on it gets quite warm. Then from the battery positive post there are two wires going up near the fuse panel. The skinny same size as alternator wire described above goes to the fuse box feed. The larger red/white wire goes to the radiator high speed fan relay. yep, VW is relying on the battery to feed the fan and battery voltage does sink when it is running in high speed. Those wires can get hot enough to soften the insulation. The ends also burn up from the heat.

Easy fix. Add another #8 wire from alternator to Battery connection on starter. Use the red/white wire for the fan as the feed for the head light relays. Then, have the relays feed the headlights through the existing wires and fuse points. 15 amp fuses for low beams and 20 amps for high. Ground head light bulbs near the mountings.

you do not one fuse for the headlights as it blowing will cause all of them to go out. Not good. At least use a self resetting circuit breaker if you must fuse the input. The four existing fuses are there so a shorted filament will only kill one side.

Also, if you get good reflectors-lenses, 80/100 watt low beams are not needed, nor are they legal. Also, 320 watts of fire power for the high beams is one heck of an alternator load. At best you only have 1,080 to start with. When it comes to lighting, keep in mind that as the voltage in the system falls, current draw can actually go up. For the 4 bulbs, @320 watts, I would go with a 40 amp circuit. 8-10 gauge wire minimum.

Dennis