Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 28 Apr 2007 16:10:20 -0500
From:         Matt Roberds <mattroberds@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: wiring and fuses for 80/100w bulbs
Comments: cc: Florian Speier <groups.florian@GMAIL.COM>

> From: Florian Speier <groups.florian@GMAIL.COM> > Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2007 08:46:22 -0700 > > i am going to run 80/100w H4s for now, so i suppose i need a toatal of > 160w in low beam mode and 2x100 + 2x55 = 310 watt in high beam mode > (am I correct in assuming that in high beam inners and outers run > simultaneously?)

This I do not know.

> my new wire from the battery is 12awg (dont have any ten), fused with > 30A at the battery, giving allowing 360W.

My gut feeling is "for 310 W, get some 10 gauge". In your house, 12 AWG is only good for 20 A; you need 10 AWG for 30 A. OK, in your house, it's usually in a bundle with two other wires and the voltage is different, but it's still some kind of reference point.

To get scientific: 10 AWG wire is about two-thirds of the resistance of 12 AWG wire - about 0.9989 ohms/1000 feet vs. 1.588 ohms/1000 feet. I agree with the 160 W in low-beam mode. I don't know if you'll have 200 W or 310 W in high-beam mode. Worst case, you'll have 310 W at 12.0 V, which is 25.8 A. If you end up with ten feet of wire, that will be 0.009989 ohms of 10 AWG or 0.01588 ohms of 12 AWG. With 25.8 A flowing, the voltage drop will be 0.26 V in the 10 AWG wire and 0.41 V in the 12 AWG wire. Over the entire length, the 10 AWG wire will be dissipating 6.7 W and the 12 AWG wire will be dissipating 11 W.

If you end up with much less than 10 feet of heavy wire, or if the high beam load is only 200 W, then the 12 AWG is probably fine. If you do buy wire, get stranded wire, and finely stranded at that - the stuff they sell at the hardware store for house wiring (usually "THHN") isn't very finely stranded - it's hard to route and may not like living in the vibration of a car. Fortunately, the popularity of car stereo systems that take as much power as a small aluminum smelter means that it's relatively easy to get finely stranded wire in various gauges.

> I was considering running two 12awg wires through their a) separate > fuses to gain more power

You'd gain a little power; the fuse holders add resistance but the two wires in parallel lower it. It also adds a little redundancy - if one of the two wires shorts to ground, probably only one of the fuses will blow, leaving you with one fuse and wire for the lights.

> b) through the same fuse just to beef up the wiring.

This would also about halve the voltage drop. You do need to take care to make both wires the same length and to have good connections on both of them, so the current divides evenly between the wires. If either wire shorts to ground, the fuse will blow, which is OK; if one wire opens the other wire is probably enough to carry the load, so that's probably OK as well.

> Option C would be to run one wire and fuse to high beam and one to > low beam, which gives the system some redundancy.

This does gain redundancy at the expense of not reducing the voltage drop for the high beams. You could step down to a 25 A or 20 A fuse on the low-beam wire for some additional protection.

Matt Roberds