Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 23 Apr 2007 08:07:28 -0400
From:         Harold Teer <teer.vanagon@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Alaska trip tips

Rob,

I echo the suggestions of obtaining a copy of "The Milepost" before the trip. During the summer of 2005, my wife and spent almost 80 days on the road and drove from Harrisonburg, Virginia to Dawson City and back. What a great resource! Until you actually study "The Milepost", you can't believe how helpful it can be.

We typically spent only one night at a place and that evening or in the morning, I would look at "The Milepost" and decide where we might stop along the next day's drive. Without the Milepost, I would have "never" stopped at places like the George Johnston Museum in Teslin, southeast of Whitehourse.

I also echo Paul Guzyk's advice on visiting Altin. In fact, his posting of pictures of his trip enticed me to make the detour (and it is a detour) to Altin, BC. It is one beautiful place. My wife and I happened to be in town when they were having an annual fund raiser tea for a old boat and my wife rented period clothes at a local store/shop/something and we attended the tea and sat at a table and had a great conversation with some fascinating people. Whether on purpose or not, I don't remember, but it also happened that a caravan of old restored vehicles from Anchorage were in town that day.

While the roads were much better than I expected them to be, be prepared. Purchase something to protect your headlights--either the covers or the stick on protective laminate from one of the list vendors. Purchase good tires and have a good spare. I had the Michelin Agilis and never had to resort to a spare but I was prepared if needed. Before the trip, I had my old pitted windshield replaced and returned from the trip with some stone chips as a souvenir--but I expected that. I just didn't want to make that trip with my old pitted windshield which made driving into the sun a real adventure.

There is so much to see and do that you will never do it all in one trip. Just go at your own speed and let your desires for the day dictate the pace.

I have never taken time to post any of my pictures. Perhaps sometime before the month ends I can post a few.

Best of travels,

Harold >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Harold & Faye Teer 1991 Westy Harrisonburg, VA

On 4/17/07, Rob <becida@comcast.net> wrote: > > I was wondering if anyone would care to offer some tips on traveling > to Alaska by VW in the summer. Plan to drive. > Tips on places to stop, things to see, VW stuff or anything else you > think is important to be mentioned on talking about driving up to Alaska. > FWIW I'm going to save these for now... > Thanks. > > > > Rob > becida@comcast.net > > With a '91 Subaru 2.2 in an '87 Vanagon in western Washington. >

-- Harold & Faye Teer 1991 Westy Harrisonburg, VA