Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 23 Apr 2007 08:35:02 -0700
From:         Mark Drillock <mdrillock@COX.NET>
Subject:      SMART Keys

This reminds me of a problem a friend had a couple years ago. He called me one day and said his Westy would not start and could I come help him find out why. He had experienced the problem a couple times but if he waited it would eventually start but not this time. I arrived with my multi-meter and in a few minutes determined that there was a missing voltage on a wire. I traced the wire until under the dash I saw it went into an added toggle switch. Ah ha, says I, what is this? He looked puzzled and then said, "oh yeah. But I have not used it for a long time". The kill switch was flaky and no longer making good contact inside even though it was set to the run position.

Years before his Syncro Westy was stolen and he was lucky enough to get it back. He actually tracked it down himself, located in the used car lot of a VW Dealer. He added the kill switch then and 10+ years later had forgotten all about it.

The ring of thieves were caught cashing the check from the dealer and though he suspected complicity on the part of the dealership nothing could be proven. The dash VIN had been changed but the chassis vins were the original ones.

Mark