Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 22 Apr 2007 03:02:08 EDT
From:         Jeff Oxroad <Oxroad@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Tires, just this one brand, not the whole thread...
Comments: To: dhanson@GORGE.NET

The Vanagon is sensative to wind, definately and for obvious reasons. But, under "normal" conditions it shouldn't be scary.

From my expereince worn shocks can make the bus's reaction to wind more extreme. But I would agree that the right tires are key.

I'm not sure if you checked the Vanagon tire recommendations pages at _www.Roadhaus.com_ (http://www.Roadhaus.com)

There are Vanagon user reviews there. I'm not exactly sure what the notation on that page "Meets Specifications" means. But it looks like in the case of the Les Schwab tire you got, apparently the answer is "no."

I don't know the tire specs for the Vanagon off hand. So I'm not exactly sure if that notation on the Roadhaus page means one can or cannot use tires noted as NOT with specifications. (Or does "no" mean the tire does not meet specs for the heavier Westy? I dunno)

So, if the Les Schwab tires are not within manufacturer's specs you've got to get them off the rig anyway for a myriad of safety reasons.

Anyway I went with the easy choice of the Michelin Agilis 61 14X185. They sell for about $115 a piece. In this case I think you get what you pay for.

Best, Jeff 83.5 Westy LA,CA