Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 27 Apr 2007 09:25:35 -0700
From:         neil <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Charging the battery
Comments: To: PB <pbrattan@gmail.com>

Not that you asked but....... ;^)

*IF* your aux battery uses a relay or isolator, (most likely) is wired correctly (most likely) and parts are working, then in theory, the positive posts of the batteries are UN-connected when engine NOT running. As they should be. Thus you don't need to disconnect one of the battery cables at starter battery if charging battery. Regardless I would dissconnect the ground on any battery I charge.

The batteries aren't connected to each other (and to the vehicles charging system) with engine off, because relay isn't energized. With engine running, the relay is energized so the positive posts of the two batteries are connected so that they can both recieve power from alternator.

I like the idea that was posted of a battery lifter (rubber strap w/ "hook" for posts on each end) best. Though I wonder how much stress this puts on batteries' plastic around posts. I've been using two pieces of coated copper wire (scavanged from residential wire) as "handles" for lifting starter battery out. Maybe not the best stuff as the casing (coating on wire) is getting worn off thus providing a *small* liability.

You may find removing ground clamp from braided ground wire makes it easier to get battery out.

Neil.

On 4/27/07, PB <pbrattan@gmail.com> wrote: > At this point in time, there are no "no brainers" regarding the Westy! > (LOL) However I did read this in the user manual. My husband told me that > I have to disconnect 1 battery terminal in order to charge the battery, but > I don't understand exactly why. He said something about if I don't > disconnect the main battery, the charger will charge the auxiliary battery > instead of the main one, or something like that I need to get my aux. > battery system checked. I don't know if it's working properly. > Patti > *********************************