Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2007, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 30 Apr 2007 20:43:13 -0700
From:         Rob <becida@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Repair Manuiel

At 4/30/2007 08:01 PM,The Bus Depot wrote:

>I'd have to agree with that. Muir's "Idiot Guide" is an excellent book, >great reading, and an absolute must for any air-cooled VW >owner. But it doesn't cover the >watercooled Vanagon at all.

I'll have to disagree. How many times have I seen someone on this list get their watercooled VW towed because the clutch didn't work? I'd imagine they never read Muir's instructions on how to drive without the clutch. How many people have had their watercooled VW not start or not run and had it turn out to be the first step in Muir's book in that chapter (is it out of gas?)? How many people have asked about what tools to get when Muir's book gives a pretty good listing of tools. How many people have asked basic wrench turning questions (very basic) or just been too embarrassed to ask them? Those basics are covered in Muir's book. Does the distributor really look different in an '86 2.1 than it did in a '59 36hp or a 40 horse or the great 1600 dual port? Muir gives a good description of the distributor. Is his advice about tieing back your hair, getting loose clothes out the way any less important on a '91 Vanagon that it was on my '59 bus?

There are a LOT of people out there who want to learn to work on their ride, who want to do something they have never done before in their life. Muir's book tells you how. Muir starts out thinking you don't know a screw driver from a crescent wrench and teaches you how to fix your ride, he does it with style. Yes I do have to disagree.

Rob becida@comcast.net

With a '91 Subaru 2.2 in an '87 Vanagon in western Washington.