Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 2 May 2007 19:08:23 -0400
From:         Billy <zbillman@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      84 automatic not starting

Hi everyone, I am new to the list so please be gentle. Brien Dews was nice enough to send a post yesterday on my behalf. I believe I have gotten to the root of the problem but I need some reassurance. The Problem(s): When I turn the key I have no fuel pump and the fuel pump relay does not engage. It will crank with no effort but with no fuel, no fire. If I ground out pin 86 on the F.P. relay it activates the F.P. until I remove the ground. I have power to pin 30 and 85 onboth the F.P. and ECU relays. If I ground out pin 86 on the ECU relay nothing happens. I did try a different relay with the same results. Next I verified that the dedicated ground to the ECU relay was in fact grounded and it is. (how) I reversed my 12v probe and used the clip end to probe while holding the pointed probe through the wire sheath. It did work as a ground while testing the relay circuits for power.

Next I removed the ECU relay and used a jumper wire to apply direct power from pin 30 to pin 87 in the relay connector socket. I did verify that power was leaving out the white wire on the back of the socket and that the ECU in fact was receiving power on the ECU connector. Turn the key, same results. Nothing. My guess would be that my ECU has taken a dump. Any other suggestions or sage wisdom would be greatly helpful.

Thank you, Billy Hirt Jr. Buses by the Beach.com