Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 2 May 2007 21:20:36 -0500
From:         vt <samcvt@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Converting '88 Vanagon into a mobile office
Comments: To: Tom Buese <tombuese@COMCAST.NET>

I don't know how many members of this list hang out in the disaster and emergency services operational and planning arenae, but offer the following as some sort of clarifier re expenses insofar as infrastructure and resource augmentation - I have a fair amount of disaster response experience and am FEMA trained as well.

Following 9/11 as we've all read, the creation of the Department of Homeland Security was created and several prior formed and operational agencies were folded into what is now called DHS. Prior to becoming part of DHS, while not perfect (and what organization is?) FEMA was a fairly smooth running agency with not a lot of high level bureaucracy weighing it down. Typically, once a federal disaster was determined, FEMA would activate and assign its cadre of paid part time, full time and volunteer assessment and eligibility determination staff into the established operation. From that point on, most resources and services would be coordinated and fullfilled in a fairly integrated manner. 9/11 and its political aftermath has changed all of the experience-based protocols and interoperable agreements and we saw the results of this dysfunctional bureaucratic mess during the Katrina/Rita response operations to date.

Until I left American Red Cross disaster services, I had been a member of a national disaster mental health training instructor cohort and had served in operations, management as well as in training functions throughout the country - and I'd say had seen some of the best as well as some of the worst of disaster response efforts.

I left disaster services to assume full time management of my wifes primary care medical practice in 2003. At that time, I was responsible for recruiting, training and coordinating disaster mental health professionals in Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont. In Vermont, I served on the state Emergency Management Planning Committee and on six (6) county or region wide Local Emergency Planning Committees in Northern Vermont in addition to my mental health service responsibilities.

During the period of time following 9/11 until I took a leave of absence, I participated in several dozen planning meetings in communities as large amounts of federal funding was being anticipated for this small state. I was appalled by the almost cavalier manner with which federal and state officials discussed and recommended how the millions of planned funding could and would be allocated and for what equipment it would be used to pay for.

Today, I haven't a clue as to how many hazmat response and cleanup trailers have been purchased and placed with first responder groups in Vermont, and I'm guessing there are at least 5-8. But, I can state without equivocation that it is possible to drive the entire north-south length of Vermont with emergency lights, bells, sirens and whistles going full blast in far less than three hours and is takes even less time to cover the east-west routes under similar conditions.

More, I know that Vermont is not unique in terms of communication equipment and technology in-operability. Turf issues prevailed before and long after 9/11 in terms of which first and second responding organizations could speak together on the same radio frequencies - and I'm sure this situation has not been entirely resolved to date. But, I am also certain that literally millions of dollars have come into Vermont (and what we received is a mere drop compared with that which poured into larger, more highly populated states) earmarked specifically for communication equipment and technology as well as infrastructure intended to ensure inter-operability.

I'm reasonably sure that New Orleans and Louisiana as well as Mississippi and Texas received millions of dollars intended to improved interagency communications in disaster response operations. But, in the first few days after Katrina and the resulting floods inundated New Orleans as well as the Louisiana and Mississippi Gulf Coast and inland, it was licensed amateur radio operators who facilitated and utilized their equipment and technology simply because the "official" resources were not operational.

My point of this rant is simple. Before the Bush administration politicized FEMA and subourned that agency to DHS, disaster response operations in the U.S. had been fairly well resourced and implemented. Certainly the events in New York City on and after 9/11 affected and helped politicize the concept and organizations which had traditionally been organized and tasked to respond. In NYC alone, Mayor Guiliani's office stopped managing the city and all disaster operations deferred to him as well as to his select staff members. Even the NY Governor was unable to act proactively until/unless the Mayor's office had someone in place to act in a public leadership role. I was on that WTC operation, and recall many of our critique discussions where various site coordinators expressed frustration that they had resources, but were held up waiting for the mayor or someone to show up for the PR event.

In my opinion, once the federal Department of Homeland Security was created and put in "charge" of all disaster service and related concerns, about all that happened is that billions of dollars were allocated and distributed nationwide, and literally no real substantive and accountable management has occurred since.

For those of us who served before, during and after 9/11 (at least from my perspective), perceived not much more than dysfunctional confusion in terms of service and infrastructure planning and implementation - and it seemed clear that FEMA and those who had gone along and into DHS who had been pro-active and relatively competent b before were stifled, stymied and otherwise lost in the political and funding shuffle.

And, with apology(ies), that is my rant for the evening.

Whoops! Almost forgot: about mid-way through my work in Northern Vermont managing a large rural shelter, providing communication and coordination services and mental health consultation for three shelters following a devastating ice storm (1998), I recall telling Vermont's Governor, Public Safety Commissioner and Adjutant General in a meeting before their helicopters took off that I'd appreciate it highly if they could find 6-10 VW Westphalias similar to my 84 with a driver/owner and I'd line up 10-15 Ham Radio Operators and assign them in Quebec and throughout the northern counties of Maine, New Hampshire, New York and Vermont to provide communication services until the public utility infrastructure (power grids, cell sites and telephone lines) were up and useful again. They sent a national guard communication truck rigged for military use, and I drove my Westy all over the place facilitating communication for nearly two weeks. From that event on, during disaster response operations here, WESTY RULED!

Ciao and tks for reading...

Sam Conant

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tom Buese" <tombuese@COMCAST.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Wednesday, May 02, 2007 7:06 PM Subject: Re: Converting '88 Vanagon into a mobile office