Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 3 May 2007 08:47:19 -0400
From:         Doug Alcock <doug.alcock@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: My first Subi ride
Comments: To: Benny boy <huotb@videotron.ca>

Sounds great Ben ---- are you bringing it to BusFusion?

Cheers, Doug

On 5/3/07, Benny boy <huotb@videotron.ca> wrote: > > What to say? > > First, i wanna thanks Hans and john from Vanaru for putting a "exemplary" > conversion/engine together, i think it's simply perfect. And it's comming > from a guys that save wasser engine each day. It's not because i know Hans > or neither because i will make money out of that, at all, my comments are > comming from a Varagon driver. It took me/us less time to put that > conversion (i don't like that word no more, it should be call: a engine > upgrade, or option ) in the van than it sometime take me to put back a > wasser in. Worse, the Vanaru engine fit's better, yea, pure and simple. > It's > what VW should have design for that great van. > > Many are afraid of conversion, they think it not normal or impossible that > another engine company could be fitted nicely in their van/car, but it's > just mechanical part fiited ON mechanical parts, everything is posible if > done the right way, but this is far better than the right way, it's meant > to > be there. Thanks to Vanaru for building the perfect Vanagon engine > replacement, thre is so much nice little details in that conversion that > it's simply amzing. > > Today, we put the rest of the stuff in, that superb harness, the air > filter > neck ant unit, the side shield... what else??? bah, i few small thing, i > was > taking my time to observe all the nice "fitting" details that Vanaru as > done > to make a Subaru engine fit PERFECTLY in that engine bay and onto the > transmission. So much details... men, those guys made the perfect kit! > Yeas, > there is a few companie out there that do conversion, we all know that > Kenedy and Small car built most of the parts... but Vanaru made it perfect > and easy to install, it's a REAL TURN-KEY, no joke here. Now, you go buy > parts from all those maker, put them together, find a GOOD donor > car/engine, > take everyting you need out (are you sure you have enverything?), now put > it > together the right way, with the right torque on each bolt... now, fit it > in > the van... good luck. Those guys did all the reserch and work for you, try > and re-try, tested, start again. test again... men, i will call that > "engine > perfection". > > Affer a small road test this afternoon, i sent Hans away... go relax my > friend, i don't nned you no more... i had to fix a few little thing, a > little more bleeding, the ALT light still on (easy fix), one hose was not > perfectly install (my mistake)... bah, small stuff, i felt the van was > ready. So i went home and had diner.... and i said to my girlfriend... ok, > im going for a ride, the real test. > > I starded the van, vroummm.... 1200 rpm, 1000, 900, 650... steady, no > vibration what so ever. Smooth like hell. What a pleasure to listen to... > nothing! Just a smooth humming, so just for fun, i reved the engine just > to > listen to it... so you know what, it does make a VW Wasser sound, no, it's > a > "perfect" Waer-Boxer sound. The RPM needle is "STILL" at 650, it simply > dosen't move. The first feeling i had was strange, at each stop light, it > though that the engine had stall!!! he he he.. no sound, no vibration... > nothing, but IT was running, steady at 650! So i went... full moon, nice > spring weather... nice feeling. I took the highway... and yea, of course, > a > big rig is comming on the right lane.. time to try that Subi... i just > push > the accelerator and bang!!! i was way in front of that rig at 75mph at > about > 4000rpm, so i went... to 95mph easy, dargn!!! this thing keep pushing... > slow down bro.. but the van felt just right even at that speed, of course, > my van as 90% new parts so it feel... new, but i didn't know that a > Vanagon > could be so steady and feel so solid, even a those speed. So i came back > slowly, hoping for some little troubles after such a tranformation, but > nothing, just a steady pleasant drive at 65mph, temp needle in the middle, > no light, nothing. So i stop near the St-Laurent river on the south shore > of > Montreal, nice view of the bridge, the city, a big boat passing throught, > the full moon, some light music.... after 10 minutes, i realise that the > engine was still runing... so i stoped it, went back to see if everything > was ok... open the hatch... nothing, simply nothing. > > So for those who are scared and/or are purist, i'm sorry that you had to > reed that. For the other's, i hope you have enjoy, and if you ever thing > about a conversion instead of re-bulding your wasser.. think twice about > where you should put your money. > > I have way more pictures commingm and tomorrow, i will do a test drive > video, but for now, i will callit off. > > Regards, Ben > http://www.benplace.com/85westy_2_mecanique2.htm >

-- http://www.dougalcock.com