Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 3 May 2007 11:36:21 -0400
Comments:     RFC822 error: <W> MESSAGE-ID field duplicated. Last occurrence
              was retained.
From:         Dennis <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: More crap on engine transplanted Van..
Comments: To: Don Hanson <dhanson@GORGE.NET>

Now that you have the head off, do you see where the gasket failed? Can you determine why it failed? Abrasion, over compression, or delaminating are the usual causes. If you can’t see an obvious failure on the gasket, look for cracks in the head. If it did fail, you need to know why. You need to carefully inspect both the block and head for straightness. If the head is warped, milling it is not a proper solution. If it is warped, then the cam tunnel is also miss aligned. The soon to be oval cam journals will be low oil pressure and strange top end noise problems. Also, many of these engine use torque to yield head bolts. They are one time use and need to be replaced or you get to do it again.

As for that $129 cam it is a cheapie. Poor heat treat and may not even be straight. BTDT. Since the cam is off, you may want to replace the hydraulic lifters if you ever get any clacking at start up. Yes, these lifters go bad also.

Dennis