Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 3 May 2007 12:32:58 -0400
From:         Greg Potts <greg@POTTSFAMILY.CA>
Subject:      Re: More Conversion engine stuff.
Comments: To: Don Hanson <dhanson@GORGE.NET>

Hi Don,

I have been thinking about this for a couple of years now. There are two problems with a HD engine in a bus or vanagon. One is that you would have to fabricate a cooling system for it, as the airflow in the engine compartment would not be adequate to cool it with the workload it's being asked for. The second problem is price: A VW factory engines is WAY cheaper than a comparable replacement HD engine.

A V-4 100cc engine from a 1985 Honda Magna or Sabre would be excellent.... it produces a nice flat powerband and has more torque available than any baywindow engine. If I were installing one I would use a chain or belt to connect the transmission's input shaft to the bike's crank, that way you could double the available torque through 2:1 gearing. Tune the bike engine to idle at 1500 RPMS and you still have a 750 RPM take-off speed at the transmission, a little low but manageable. Since the V4 redlines at 11,000 RPM, you have an effective top end of 5500, which is virtually the same as the 2L aircooled engine.

Would it last? Hard to say. If I had access to a crashed bike for cheap I would probably consider trying it.

The Honda Valkyrie engine would be perfect in a vanagon or bus, but when you consider that the bike costs $30K it kind of diminishes the financial incentive for the conversion.

Happy Trails,

Greg Potts 1973/74/77/79 Westfakia "Bob The Tomato www.pottsfamily.ca www.busesofthecorn.com